Re: How to add 'HOSTS file type' records to AD DNS

Thanks, that worked a treat. I bow down to you...

I did consider doing that, (honest!) but I thought there may be a better way
as this could soon fill up your DNS MMC with a whole bunch of odd's and
sod's if you have a number of records to add.

It would be useful if there was a 'everything else' type record or somekind
of wildcard, so that any other record that is not listed explictly is
forwarded on to your external forwarders. That way, I could have used just
the one forward lookup zone. Oh well, it's working fine now.

Thanks again.

zerodayz

"zerodayz" <zerodayz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have to add a few A records for a domain that I do not administer.
>

> In more detail, we have a private IP connection to another company, we
> have to resolve some FQDN's to their IP addresses. They provide no DNS
> service to us.
>
> For example, the IP:
>
> 194.129.160.17 would need to resolve to citrix-prod-somedomain.com
>
> and another:
>
> 194.129.160.25 to citrix-dr-somedomain.com and so on.
>
> I know exactly how I would achieve this by using a host file on each users
> machine, but how can I achieve this in AD DNS. I'm running simple W2K3 AD
> integrated DNS with a single Forward lookup zone, our own domain.
>
> I've tried adding a new forward lookup zone called somedomain.com then
> created the two above A records. However, when I do this, my client PC's
> can't see somedomain.com, for example, internal requests the company
> website www.somedomain.com fails. I guess because my new forward lookup
> zone took control of *all* requests to somedomain.com. I want it *just* to
> resolve those two A records, and forward all other requests to our ISP's
> DNS servers.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I can elaborate if needed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Richard

  • Re: DNS Forward lookup problem - now having problems with a period (.)
    ... we have had sporadic problems on our network. ... Chances are you have some that are still pointing at the lost DNS ... If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must ... > recreate the forward lookup zone on our AD-integrated DNS Server (which ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Global catalog server died before completing replication to new GC server
    ... If no DNS is installed on the existing DC: ... Install DNS role and create a forward lookup zone for your complete domainname, ... Then make sure all servers are listed in the zones, ... cause Group Policy problems. ...
  • Re: RID,PDC,Infrastructure operation masters states ERROR - operations
    ... deleted the secondary forward lookup zone. ... I dont quite understand the dns snap in piece asked me to do. ... something to the effect that DNS replication would be handled by AD now so I ... >> Delete the DNS zones on both DCs. ...
  • dns error
    ... Active Directory Domain name:GCT ... Dns Forward Lookup Zone on PDC GSCSERVERI. ... >> RPC ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: clients are registered with different domain name
    ... "Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer" Text Box ... it takes much time to intiate login session. ... forward lookup zone with xxxxx.cm now users can login properly. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)