Re: TCP/IP CP reported error 31

In news:nfgqe1l8p641r8mt91v5jjdd1c477q9cuk@xxxxxxx,
Bob Feigel <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> made this post, which I then commented
about below:
> My apologies if this isn't the right group to ask for help on this
> issue:
> OS: WIN2000Pro
> Pentium III & plenty of system resources to spare
> No hardware conflicts
> Problem: After I've accessed my dial-up connection more than four or
> five times in one session, I get the following error message:
> "Checking network protocol connections...
> TCP/IP CP reported error 31: A device attached to the system is not
> functioning."
> Details:
> "An internal error occurred.
> Make sure you typed your password correctly, and also make
> sure that you typed alphabetical characters in the correct
> uppercase or lowercase format.
> Restart your computer to make sure that all recent
> configuration changes have taken effect. If the error persists,
> consult the Windows 2000 event log for detailed warnings or
> errors.
> A possible cause of this error is that the connection was
> rejected because the remote computer exceeded its client
> license limit. Ask your system administrator to buy more client
> licenses or point you to a different remote computer."
> The event log shows the following error detail:
> "Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming
> profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.
> DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195))."
> And warning:
> "The COM+ Event System failed to fire the Logoff method on
> subscription {2F519218-754D-4CFE-8DAA-5215CD0DE0EB}. The subscriber
> returned HRESULT 800706BA."
> I have no idea what all that means, whether it's even related to the
> problem or where I can find out. The only way I can reconnect is th
> reboot. Then it's OK for a while.
> I've tried Windows Help, the Microsoft Knowledge Base, this and other
> newsgroups and forums, but could not find any mention of this specific
> problem as it relates to my situation. I do not run a server and have
> a direct dial-up connection via a modem that tests OK.
> BTW - I haven't installed any new software - although I do update my
> spyware & antivirus definitions regularly.
> Also - this problem developed suddenly and without any obvious reason
> I can put my finger on.
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
> "It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when
> it happens." - Woody Allen
> Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years:
> <>

Seems to me there's somethine else installed on the machine causing this. Do
you have an ADSL connection with the WinPoet software installed on this
machine? If so, check this:

Did you have EZCD creator installed and rmoved it?
If so, check this.
Cannot Access CD-ROM and Code 31 Error Message in Device Manager After You
Remove Adaptec Easy CD Creator from Your Computer:

Other related info:

You could also have malware or spyware installed causing this, as I've found
with some client machines, such as the NewDotNet client. It's a nasty one.
Here's info on how to remove it:

Also, I would suggest to run a complete antivirus scan and perform some
anti-spyware procedures. For possible spyware, download, install, update and
run all of the following.

Spybot search and destroy

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

If none of the above fixes the issue then download Hijack this, run
it, save a copy of the log file and post it to one of the forums below:

HiJackThis Download:

SWI Forums- Post your HiJackThis logfile (Powered by Invision Power Board):

HiJackThis Tutorial and Forums-
How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware. Post your
logfile here:

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

  • Re: failures accessing commonly used webpages (eg.
    ... And also your settings on the Connection tab. ... > runs on windows 98se and is connected via a linksys hardwired router ... > has any problem accessing webpages via IE6 or Mozilla'a firefox. ... I am tempted to remove windows 2000 and install windows ...
  • RE: Windows Start Up Error
    ... then start by running TrendMicro's Sysclean ... After you have used Sysclean, install a full-featured av, update its ... scan with HijackThis. ... If you are running Windows ME or XP, ...
  • Re: Windows is great, except for a few things...
    ... Have you tried installing Dell Support 3.0 which will test your computer and ... I would also insert your Windows XP CD. ... After you install each, you should click update before running. ... > -My wireless network connection works fine but internet explorer won't ...
  • Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
    ... connection to a shared printer. ... Windows Printing Team ... Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows ... We have the following problem in 10 windows Vista Computers recently ...
  • Re: How to control LAN users?
    ... Shutting down the machines would work for me, there might be some unhappiness but I could deal with that, but what I'm really looking for is a way to open the connection to the internet at my discretion. ... Real VNC is easy to install on the windows boxes. ... If vncviewer is not in /usr/bin, ...