Re: DNS errors after setting up forward lookup zones in Windows 2000

From: Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP] (admin_at_nospam.LSAOL.COM)
Date: 02/17/04

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:56:58 -0600

In news:%23sYzbsZ9DHA.2044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Chris Weber <chris@dev.nul> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> [...]
> - We wanted hosts in each domain to resolve each other's IP addy's,
> so.....
> - In each of the two domains, we setup Secondary forward lookup zones
> so that:
> - the DMZ has a copy of the INTRANET zone
> - the INTRANET has a copy of the DMZ zone
> - the transfer works fine
> - name resolution works good in each domain, and across the trust
> - ran netdiag /fix just to be sure
>

> Our DNS event logs in each domain are filling up with the following
> types of errors, separated by ****. The first two Error messages
> represent a large portion of the errors, and contain IP address that
> are not anywhere on our network. The last Warning message also
> appears a lot, and contains our DC's IP address.
>
> Is something not setup correctly on our part or is something else
> going on?
>
> many thanks,
> Chris

> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DNS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7063
> Date: 2/15/2004
> Time: 6:45:32 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: INTDC
> The description for Event ID ( 7063 ) in Source ( DNS ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
> this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: 198.41.0.4.
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DNS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7063
> Date: 2/15/2004
> Time: 6:28:33 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: INTDC
> The description for Event ID ( 7063 ) in Source ( DNS ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
> this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: 198.32.64.12.

> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: DNS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 5504
> Date: 2/15/2004
> Time: 6:45:34 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: INTDC
> The description for Event ID ( 5504 ) in Source ( DNS ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve
> this description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: 10.10.10.11.

Set a forwarder to 4.2.2.2 and post your ipconfig /all

The 7063 events are coming from the root servers like there is a machine
trying to register a single label domain name, in the root servers.

> 198.41.0.4 ptr

QUESTION SECTION:
4.0.41.198.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

ANSWER SECTION:
4.0.41.198.in-addr.arpa. 900 IN PTR a.root-servers.net.

> 198.32.64.12 ptr

QUESTION SECTION:
12.64.32.198.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

ANSWER SECTION:
12.64.32.198.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR l.root-servers.net.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

  • Re: DNS errors after setting up forward lookup zones in Windows 2000
    ... > Our DNS event logs are filling up with hundreds of errors every day. ... The local computer may not have the necessary registry ... > information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: Problems with XP SP2
    ... You should be pointing to the local DCs for DNS ... Event Type: Error ... Event Source: NETLOGON ... information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote ...
  • Re: DNS errors after setting up forward lookup zones in Windows 2000
    ... Kevin, what does this do? ... >> Our DNS event logs are filling up with hundreds of errors every day. ... The local computer may not have the necessary registry ... >> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: user authentication problems?
    ... First check that your computer is configured correctly with dns in that it ... problem with the sysvol share on a domain controller. ... > Computer: myMachine ... > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: user authentication problems?
    ... First check that your computer is configured correctly with dns in that it ... problem with the sysvol share on a domain controller. ... > Computer: myMachine ... > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)