Re: unable to remove Active Directory using dcpromo on a Windows 2003 Server with sp1 installed

If both machines point to the same DNS Server then you could try doing the DCPROMO immediately after rebooting the remaining server to ensure that you have the best chance of getting connected (if something really is eating up RPC endpoints).

The more serious issue is if your remaining server really is running out of RPC Endpoints... You should look into that with the tools that are available from Microsoft.

How to troubleshoot RPC Endpoint Mapper errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839880

Its a long article but most of it just details possible symptoms, get down to the troubleshooting section and its pretty manageable.

--

Mike Shepperd
Sunfire Solutions LLC

[This posting is provided AS-IS, with no warranties and confers no rights]

"John" <john@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uIMFAmCFHHA.3976@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I seem to have a problem with Active Directory and tried to remove it using dcpromo and get the following error:

Active Directory could not transfer the remaining data in directory partition CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=abc,DC=com to domain conroller mail.abc.com

"There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper"

This setup consists of 2 Windows 2003 server both are domain controllers and both have SP1 installed. On mail.abc.com everything is running ok. From the problematic server I can ping the mail.abc.com server with the ip address and dns name.

Is there a way to remove the problematic server manually and run dcpromo to put it back in the active directory?

Thanks

  • Re: DCPROMO Fails with "Failed to create the GPO for the domain",
    ... DNS server for an internal domain of COMPANY.local. ... Programs and then just running dcpromo but still got the same message ... Configuring service RPCLOCATOR to 32 returned 0 ...
  • Re: DCPROMO Fails with "Failed to create the GPO for the domain",
    ... Just comparing the DNS server settings on Small Business Server that is ... Programs and then just running dcpromo but still got the same message ... Configuring service RPCLOCATOR to 32 returned 0 ...
  • Re: Windows 2003 Help
    ... Default-First-Site-Name\TGCS002 via RPC ... There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. ... network troubleshooting, see Windows Help. ... This is the Same from the new server ...
  • Re: AD from 2000 to 2003
    ... When I try to connect my new 2003 box and dcpromo as an additional ... Which DNS server is this 2003 box using? ... And this was my next suggestion: You need to run DCDiag on ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • RE: WBEM - No - E-mail
    ... Since the problem still occurs after you reinstalled the Monitoring ... Does the Exchange server work OK? ... <creator is not the same security principal as the creators of the ... <The binding and the endpoints must be created by the same user! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)