Re: Problem establish trust between NT4 and W2K3 AD

They were probably both on the same subnet and broadcasting resolved it for
you. Do both the NT4 and Windows 2003 have wins clients loaded and pointing
to the wins server?

>From the windows 2003 dc can you ping the netbios name of the pdc and the dc
itself? From the pdc can you ping the dc and the pdc with the netbios name?

I don't know if the following would impact it or not but wondering about smb
signing?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555038

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811497&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

"Steven Wong" <sazabi75@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have installed WINS on the W2K3 server and point all DCs (NT and AD) to
> the WINS IP,
> but still no luck ...
>
> In my testing site, I had my NT4 PDC and W2K3 DCs trusted no problem
> without
> using WINS or LMHOSTS file.
>
> From my understanding .. I thought I only need to use WINS if I want to
> trust 2 or more domains
> accross WAN or in different IP subnets .. or am I wrong .. ?
>
> Hmm... I really need to get this sort out because without successfully
> trusted,
> I cannot continue my migration from NT4 to W2K3 AD and also Exchange 5.5
> Exchange 2003.
>
> I will keep my search going ....
>
> TIA
>
> Steven
>
> "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> this most certainly would work but if you move all wins services to w2k3
>> make sure you point all your clients to the w2k3 server. Both servers
>> and
>> workstations.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>>

>> "Jorge de Almeida Pinto"
>> <SubstituteThisWithMyFullNameSeparatedByDots@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > to create a trust between some domain and a NT4 domain NetBIOS name
>> > resolution is needed to find DCs in both domains. That can be
> established
>> > by using a LMHOSTS file or using WINS.
>> >
>> > You could install WINS on the W2K3 DC, point all servers for WINS to
>> > the
>> > W2K3 DC and that way the servers will register the records in WINS. DCs
> in
>> > each domain will register a 1Ch record in WINS that has the name of the
>> > domain. That is the record in WINS that identifies DCs in domains
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > # Jorge de Almeida Pinto #
>> > BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx

> ---
>> > * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
>> > rights!
>> > * Always test before implementing!

> ---

> ---
>> > "Steven Wong" <sazabi75@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> have

> Could

> hope

  • Re: Documentation for simple NT4 to 2003
    ... to go from NT4 to W2K3 AD you have 2 possibilities: ... upgrade NT4 domain to AD ... How To Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0-Based PDC to a Windows Server 2003-Based ...
  • Re: Browser Errors
    ... I ran your batch file from one of the W2K DCs that is experiencing the ... the same server that these DCs are complaining about not being able to ... retrieve lists from the master browser. ... error when the W2K DC is running this test against BOTH W2K3 DCs. ...
  • Re: Single NT4 PDC -> 2K3 AD
    ... I want to end up with the existing domain and its users on a new w2k3 box ... then retire the old NT4 box. ... To keep the same domain you will have to upgrade the PDC. ... You could also upgrade the existing PDC to Win 2k3, then add the new server ...
  • Re: NT4 upgrade to W2K3 with new hardware
    ... How To Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0-Based PDC to a Windows Server 2003-Based ... w2k3 member servers. ... promote both w2k3 member servers to DCs and after that make both DCs a GC ...
  • RE: NT4 to 2K3 migration (no upgrade, 2K3 is on a new box, NT4 is on another box)
    ... Your plan sounds good, please refer to following 2 articles: ... >>The articles that I've seen so far regarding the move from NT4 to W2K3 ... >>the other a File server. ...