RE: Get code from a deployed site

Hi Betty,

What is the sourde code for? Are they the source codes for a .NET
application(dll or web application or winform )?

Generally, only source code files are not enough. For debugging, the most
important thing is the symbols for the target application. When you use a
debuger(such as visual studio) to debug a program, it will try to locate
the symbol files first(through the info in the program). And the symbo
files contains the relationship between the program and its source
code(such as filename and version and modules associated with the certain
files).

The most popular format of symbol files (used by visual studio) is .PDB
file.

#Managing Symbols and Source Code

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yd4f8bd1(vs.71).aspx

So for the component or program you want to debug, do you have the PDB
files yet? If not, you may need to find them first in order to perform
further debugging against the program.

In addition, here are more info about debugging and symbols:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/Debugging/debugstart.mspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debug_symbol

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng