Re: Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:74c67c5c-bd31-477c-bb8d-3c0e4055bd37@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For years, I've had an HP DeskJet 812C connected to the parallel port
on my Win98SE computer. The printer is shared, and I've had no
problems printing from Windows XP.

Enter Windows Vista. I set up Vista to use client-side rendering by
adding a local printer and having it point to the port for the
printer. Everything works fine when I set it up, until I reboot the
Vista computer. When that happens, Vista lists the printer as
"offline" and NOTHING I do will allow it to print again. The only
thing I can do is add another printer, have it point to the same port,
and delete the old printer.

How do I fix this problem, or alternately, how do work around the
problem by making a script to automatically add a local printer set to
print to the shared port on bootup and delete it on shutdown? I have
no idea how to make such a script or if it is even possible.

I'm using Vista 64-bit home premium.

I should mention that this is definitely a Vista problem, because I
have Virtual PC installed on that same computer to run Windows XP Pro
(32-bit) and the virtual machine on the same hardware with the
troublesome Vista as the host OS has absolutely NO problem with the
printer or file shares as far as the Win98SE computer is concerned.
As a consequence I'm resorting to doing all my Office Suite work with
Virtual PC as I don't want the hassle of forgetting to reinstall the
damn printer every time I want to print.

Although it doesn't say specifically Vista, the command is available...

How to add printers with no user interaction in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q189105/

More extensive list of printui.dll commands
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/2kprintcontrol.php

To delete network printer

rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /dn /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"

To add network printer

rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /in /q /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"

I only played with it a little bit. Add network printer maybe missing port information. I couldn't quite get it to work, but it should get you started.

Let me know how you get it to work.

  • Re: Vista Basic - network printer goes offline on re-start
    ... Windows 'Vista Basic' laptop - and it stays on-line after switching off ... HP PSC 1350 on USB port of Dell Dimension V350 ... I set this up on our home network â?? ...
  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • APPLE-SA-2012-05-15-1 QuickTime 7.7.2
    ... Windows 7, Vista, XP SP2 or later ... Viewing a maliciously crafted movie file may lead to an ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: RDC wont connect from XP to Vista Home or Windows 7 Home Premium
    ... The RDC uses port 3389 so that you must make sure you can telnet port 3389. ... it says "RDC won't connect from XP to Vista Home or Windows 7 Home Premium". ...
  • Re: List of Applications Not Compatible with Leopard
    ... If there is an equal on Windows I truly would love to know about ... program on the Plasq frontpage was clearly taken on Vista. ... the product is on both Windows and Mac. ... hardware than Vista works on PC hardware is hardly "silly". ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)