Re: PaperSize not available when Run as Admin

You can change the timeout value on the splwow64.exe for termination after 1
minute. If the print driver keeps a reference to the process this does not
work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923357

You cannot use the RUNAS command to print from a 32-bit program in different
user accounts in a single session on a computer that is running a 64-bit
version of Microsoft Windows

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"robkeithd" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply

Our "real" app is 32 bit. I built the test app as both 32 and 64. We
have been done a little more discovery. This seems to have something to
do with splwow64.exe. If I run the test "as is" and then it again "as
admin" I have the problem. If I bring up Task Manager and kill splwow64
(or wait long enough for it go away on its own) in between then the test
runs fine. If I run "as admin" the first time then I don't seem to have
the problem - i.e. I can turn right around and run the app as is or as
admin with no problem.

So now I'm at the point where I know I need to make sure I can read the
printer properties before proceeeding with the print job so my program
won't just flat out die but I don't really know what to do if it turns
out that I can't read the properites.

If there is some trick or tip out there it would be greatly
appreiciated.

--
robkeithd

  • Re: disconnect http-connected printer
    ... It's classified as a local printer, one needs to be admin to delete it. ... Alan Morris ... Windows Printing Team ... Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: spoolsv.exe using 50% of CPU constantly
    ... connection. ... Is the user not admin on the machine? ... Alan Morris ... Windows Printing Team ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Found New Hardware Error
    ... that's the right instruction but PlugNPlay usually creates the registry key ... in system context so the admin can't delete this key by default. ... Windows Printing Team ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: PaperSize not available when Run as Admin
    ... Windows Printing Team ... I've got a Windows app written in C# that errors out when it is Run as ... Admin, the printer name is correct but the count is zero. ... bit boxes but don't have the problem on a 32 bit Vista or XP 32 or XP ...
  • Re: Barred from My Documents
    ... Read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... > can't log in to open it because all the system files on ... > accessable to the Admin and SYSTEM. ...