Re: How can I print from my laptop??

spoiltmom wrote:

I have a desktop with XP and an HP Photosmart 7260. I have a laptop with
Vista Home premium 32 bit. I have them hooked up with a Netgear router.
I can view everything on my desktop from my laptop but I can't add a
printer to my laptop. The Best Buy guy told me to go on my laptop and
add a local printer but when I try that it finds the printer and then
says Windows cannot connect to the printer.Make sure that you have typed
the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network.

What now? I don't have a print server I just want to print from my
laptop through my desktop.

So you can successfully transfer a file from the Vista machine to the XP box
and vice versa? According to HP, there are no advanced drivers available
for your printer but the basic drivers are built in:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01655752&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=305337

So if you've shared the printer from the XP box, you should be able to
follow HP's instructions at the link above. You may need to install the
printer as a local printer.

Vista - How to install a printer that is connected locally to another
computer if the driver installation routine doesn't help:

Go to Control Panel. Choose Printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\FullComputername\SharedPrintername

ex: \\mycomputer\HPDJ (This obviously will be the name of the XP box and
the shared printer).

Click Next.

Under the Manufacturers list, select HP and the correct printer from the
Printers List.

Under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes"
and click Next.

When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Cant Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop
    ... I am performing the instructions on my Vista computer as you have written. ... I am entering my computer name as my Local Port. ... I can access files on the Desktop from my Laptop and access files on my ...
  • Re: printer sharing via home network with Win7, WinXP, & Vista
    ... Perhaps I should have mentioned that the laptop runs Vista Home Premium SP2, ... the XP desktop is on XP Pro SP3, and the new computer is Win7 Pro 64bit. ... printer name, right click, properties, Ports, Add Port, Local Port. ...
  • Re: Quest VMCL. OK
    ... "Designed for Vista Premium" logo, and also described as "Media Center ... "Media Center Laptops" might all come with built in Hybrid Analogue/Digital ... for a laptop with Media Center functionality. ... No I did not upgrade my sisters laptop with those hardware drivers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Boot and general performance
    ... Checked out what is starting up and uninstalled any program that I no longer used and adjusted ones I still use to only load what they need when I actually click on them to start. ... I also stand the laptop on a cake stand so that air flow under and around it is maximised. ... so I tried to use SFC /SCANBOOT as I used to on XP but that option doesn't exist for SFC under Vista so I cant reboot and have a windows OS file scan be performed when no file is locked. ... Not daunted I thought about "repair install" which *CAN* be done on my desktop Vista Business if needed with the DVD there but the laptop came with Vista Ultimate 64 bit already installed and with a restore partition on it, no disk, as usual and I cannot actually DO a repair install because of that. ...
  • Re: Which XP to use
    ... so many problems with the display drivers that HP has decided I have a faulty card and is now sending me a brand new laptop to the exact same specs. ... My thought on it is that since I am still going to be getting the Vista OS and the same Nvidia video card, that the problems will still be there. ... Just because the first laptop had defective hardware components or corrupted drivers, this is no indication that the replacement laptop will have the same problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)