Re: Can drivers from Vista x64 DVD be copied to XP64 machine?

I'm going to start this by stating I'm just a print guy. No fax, no scan,
just print.

The files on Vista and for all OS going forward are not in a compress flat
file format. The files get installed due to policies and manifests (I'm not
a setup guy either) which is why the installed OS cannot locate the files on
the disk.

I'm not sure how scanners get installed but for printers, all the print
drivers are installed into the driverstore when the OS is installed.

The files are located in \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

the print driver all start with prn[vendor] where vendor is a two
character code.

There is a hpscan directory under the same path so maybe the scanner stuff
is there

This is what I have done for printers

share the directory of the x64 Vista machine
windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

plug in the device on the XP x64 machine, point to the share and drill to
prnhhp???? . There is an inf file in this directory for the printer, I'm
hoping that the Plug and Play process will read and install all the
components as they are enumerated on the device.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Travis" <travismorien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message