Re: Connecting to printer wirelessly

kungfuboy wrote:

Thanks for the replys guys. I don't have a wireless router set up yet.
i'm probably the last person on the planet still stuck on dialup. I did
think the printer was wireless capable (maybe not now). I will go back
to the drawing board, thanks for the help.

You're welcome. For your future planning, the setup usually goes like this:

/_/----------------------->/_/---------------->various computers, printers

cable/DSL modem wireless router

The router will normally have 4 extra ports on the back where you can plug
in wired (ethernet) computers or network printers. The wireless
capabilities of a network printer are usually only useful if the printer
can't sit near the router, like if you want it in another room. Otherwise
just connect the printer wired to the router.

Your computers connect to the Local Area Network (and to the Internet)
either wired or wirelessly. It doesn't matter which, they are all part of
the same Local Area Network and can use resources on that network, such as
a printer.

HTH,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: What brand of router to buy
    ... Wireless Cable/DSL Router have 4 ports for wire computers (that can be ... As long as the computers are On you can share all the printers with all ...
  • Re: Security setup please comment:
    ... My desktop running XPPro is direct-wired to the router. ... >wireless running XPHome. ... >Feel free to comment on the setup. ... Setup ZAP on both computers to only trust the other computer by ip ...
  • Re: Using XP PC as Gateway, add Wireless router, cant share across su
    ... I'm using a spare PC running Windows XP Pro configured as a gateway to allow ... other computers to access the Internet through this PC. ... Things have been running pretty good so I added a wireless router to the mix ...
  • Re: Bandwidth problems...
    ... hardwired to the router itself and presents no problems for me. ... other two are on a secure wireless network that I set up myself. ... the two wireless computers almost always have a low or very ... When I first set up the network I let D-Link run it, ...
  • Re: Wireless Access Point Without Router
    ... >> I have three computers with 802.11g wireless cards already ... >> I have no need for the computers to talk to each other, ... If you don?t want to buy a router you don?t need to as ... >long as you have an extra ethernet PCI card. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking)