Re: Windows Vista Fax

Well, the OP appears to have the application, so its probably safe to assume he has Vista Business or Ultimate. No Windows Fax application, all the way back to At-Work Fax included with WFWG 3.11 has ever been able to use a stand-alone Fax machine to send and receive - today's multifunction units fall into that category, so they cannot be used to send/receive faxes through Windows without a manufacturer-supplied driver. The only hardware device Windows Fax applications have ever been able to use is an analog fax modem. Vista Fax and Scan is more robust and reliable than its predecessors, though its still not designed for anything more than casual faxing. For those with Vista Home or Basic, there are a number of alternatives:

Snappy Fax
http://www.snappysoftware.com/
RKSFax
http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
VentaFax
http://www.ventafax.com/
FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm

I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
BVRP PhoneTools

Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it will work with non-USR modems. You can also send Faxes via your Internet connection provided you are willing to pay for an Internet E-Faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@xxxxxxxx

"DJT" <dtope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:vpk0d49f56pommb2l5m6jmeeq3lhpoh0mr@xxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:41:00 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]"