Slow Printer Speed

I am running Vista Home Premium edition on an Everex stepnote 2053

I am connected wirelessly to a router and I have an XP machine connected via
ethernet it has an HP1100 printer attached to it via parallel cable.

I used to be able to print easily to it.

Then a few month my everex stopped recognizing the printer. I just made do
for a couple of months and then tried adding the printer.

This time it worked but whenever I tried to do anything relating to printer
(setting printer, page preview or printing) it would take 5 minutes or more
for it to respond.

There were no error messages and like I said it would eventually do it.
.