RE: Defrag doesn't work

I follwed the instructions on the link, and the sfc /scannow command does
report that it found some corrupted foles which it ould not fix.

In step 2, findstr........ the command gives no response, just another C:
command prompt.

In step 3, the edit sfcdetails.txt command gives me this result:

'edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operative
program or batch file

So, I'm stuck.
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

Hi Alex,

This may fix things quite a bit. SFC \SCANNOW

It replaces corrupt files with intact ones.

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833>

I'm suяe someone else will help you if this suggestion doesn't help.

Let us know what hªppens.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

Hi to all, and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I did a disc check, which I do fairly regularly as routine maintenance, but
the results indicated no problems (as usual), but the defrag is still doing
the same thing as I initially described.

If this can't be fixed, are freeware third-party defraggers such as
Auslogics or Smart Defrag safe and effective alternatives ?
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

Hi Alex,

If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't mean
it's going to stay that way forever!

Check your hard disk for errors ...
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista-using-gui-and-command-line/

Good luck
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

How much free space is in the HHD ?
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
recommended that you defragment now."

When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
repeats the same message. This repeats each time.

Any advice?
--
Thanks, Alex
.