RE: Defrag doesn't work

I follwed the instructions on the link, and the sfc /scannow command does
report that it found some corrupted foles which it ould not fix.

In step 2, findstr........ the command gives no response, just another C:
command prompt.

In step 3, the edit sfcdetails.txt command gives me this result:

'edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operative
program or batch file

So, I'm stuck.
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

Hi Alex,

This may fix things quite a bit. SFC \SCANNOW

It replaces corrupt files with intact ones.

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833>

I'm suяe someone else will help you if this suggestion doesn't help.

Let us know what hªppens.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

Hi to all, and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I did a disc check, which I do fairly regularly as routine maintenance, but
the results indicated no problems (as usual), but the defrag is still doing
the same thing as I initially described.

If this can't be fixed, are freeware third-party defraggers such as
Auslogics or Smart Defrag safe and effective alternatives ?
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

Hi Alex,

If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't mean
it's going to stay that way forever!

Check your hard disk for errors ...
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista-using-gui-and-command-line/

Good luck
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

How much free space is in the HHD ?
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
recommended that you defragment now."

When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
repeats the same message. This repeats each time.

Any advice?
--
Thanks, Alex

  • Re: Defrag will not start
    ... > When I click defrag I get a command box that shows and ... > menu it shows defrag as this: ... > Can anyone help me fix this without reinstalling? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Wolfpack 4.3.16 Server Release
    ... Fix work command not to spend more mobility than requested, ... Don't permit bombing of embarked planes and land units. ... Fix bomb not to let you bomb dead ships and land units. ...
    (rec.games.empire)
  • Wolfpack 4.3.11 Server Release
    ... We are happy to announce that Empire 4.3.11 is now available. ... Rewrite the client's code to read server output during login. ... Fix xdump not to deny access to game state tables when maximum ... Fix bug in path command that made it swallow every other step. ...
    (rec.games.empire)
  • Wolfpack 4.3.0 Server Release
    ... customizable unit tables, xdump (a new ... information on game configuration and a more useful country command. ... HIDDEN limits status information like for the country command. ... Fix justification of coordinate output in cutoff and mission. ...
    (rec.games.empire)
  • Re: how to schedule MS degragmenter?
    ... manual way to run Defrag is to click to Start/Control ... you launch the tool via a command line plus ... I have a batch file called "DEFRAG_ALL.BAT" for example, ... Using Task Scheduler To Complete The Process ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)