Re: old mail

Hi, Bill.

Please tell us again - more explicitly - WHERE you see these files. The full pathname, please. I don't have any folder with that name in either Win7 or Vista.

The phrase "indexed file locations" turns up plenty of hits on Bing, but the first half-dozen or so are YOUR post in several different "forums" (soft32, vistaheads, windowskb, etc.). You didn't post to those forums, of course, but they all "slurp" messages from these Microsoft public newsgroups to make their own sites look busier and more expert - and to increase their revenue from click ads.

There might be something useful in this MSDN link:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/48e21191-9af6-45e1-9207-25b6872e4ee1/

But my only thought is what I posted earlier: Vista did not keep those old files. The files are gone, but the Indexing Service hasn't yet caught up and still shows them as present. And you didn't answer my two questions:
How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uQJD3yRbKHA.5472@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this: Why does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears and asks "do you want to permanently
delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does vista not let the mesage go away forever? BW
"R. C. White" <rc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OjsaQQLbKHA.4688@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Bill.

How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished, it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. A lag of several hours - or even several days - is not unusual for a hard-working system. Until it has a chance to catch up, it might report that some deleted files are still there, or that some moved files are still in their old locations - or other mistakes.

You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system running so that background tasks can continue.

RC

"Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eCbgWnfaKHA.2184@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them, there is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old emails as none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW

  • Emails Reveal How Vista Decisions Infuriated HP
    ... Emails Reveal How Vista Decisions Infuriated HP ... Microsoft customers Hewlett-Packard and Sony. ... show that Intel was initially unable to supply an integrated graphics ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Garmin tech support: "Your wait time will be over 30 minutes"
    ... individual requests, desires, or preferences. ... Simply that Garmin failed to include an option in the eTrex mapping range ... responded to my emails. ... reports of bugs and problems with my Vista and MapSource. ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Re: Newsgroup not starting at top, and how to import old emails from OE
    ... The mail program that comes with Vista is called Windows Mail, ... Windows Mail can import from OE's DBX and WAB files. ... I choose Outlook Express 6 and navigate to the folder but it says no files found, so it must be looking for a different extension, or maybe it does not allow this folder as a valid location. ... But I have a huge number of emails going back to about 2003, and even though they are organized in folders such as Inbox2006Q2, some of the DBX files are as large as 250 MB. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: old mail
    ... Why does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? ... If we keep the computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished, it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. ... You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or even overnight. ... How can I get rid of the old emails as none of them have any importance to me? ...
  • Re: Where can I access Windows Mail emails?
    ... Can I access Outlook Express on most computers (it's not like Windows ... Mail which is only on PCs with Vista?) ... Outlook Express now holds 66 of my business emails going back to ... 15/7/2008 but I have 207 emails in my inbox on Windows Mail going back to Jan ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)