Re: old mail

Hi, Bill.

Please tell us again - more explicitly - WHERE you see these files. The full pathname, please. I don't have any folder with that name in either Win7 or Vista.

The phrase "indexed file locations" turns up plenty of hits on Bing, but the first half-dozen or so are YOUR post in several different "forums" (soft32, vistaheads, windowskb, etc.). You didn't post to those forums, of course, but they all "slurp" messages from these Microsoft public newsgroups to make their own sites look busier and more expert - and to increase their revenue from click ads.

There might be something useful in this MSDN link:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/48e21191-9af6-45e1-9207-25b6872e4ee1/

But my only thought is what I posted earlier: Vista did not keep those old files. The files are gone, but the Indexing Service hasn't yet caught up and still shows them as present. And you didn't answer my two questions:
How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uQJD3yRbKHA.5472@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this: Why does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears and asks "do you want to permanently
delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does vista not let the mesage go away forever? BW
"R. C. White" <rc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OjsaQQLbKHA.4688@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Bill.

How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished, it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. A lag of several hours - or even several days - is not unusual for a hard-working system. Until it has a chance to catch up, it might report that some deleted files are still there, or that some moved files are still in their old locations - or other mistakes.

You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system running so that background tasks can continue.

RC

"Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eCbgWnfaKHA.2184@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them, there is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old emails as none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW

.