Re: Fake anti-virus infection

--->
I would do these three things.

1. Run the Microsoft Malicious Removal tool as it is already on your system if you are current in your Window updates. It is located at C:\Windows\System32\mrt.exe

2. Download, install, update and run MalwareBytes Anti Malware (FREE) from
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

3. Download, install, update and run Surer Anti Spyware (FREE) from:
http://superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
Make sure to download the free version unless you want to pay for the added functionality of the paid version. Their removal capabilities are identical.

Thanks for the response Richard:

I couldn't do #1 as it would be blocked from running and I'd get a pop-up telling me that "mrt.exe is infected and cannot be run".

I've already done #2 and #3. Malware bytes found the culprit:

Trojan.FakeAlert in the users\--granddaughter--\appdata\local\dsqdgk folder

Another file, in the ..\local\temp area held another strange executable. Every time it ran, the name would change by one number. I caught it at 2241.exe. Eventually I suppose that the executables would multiply and fill the HD (160Gb).

The only way I could do any useful work was to dismount the HD from her laptop and connect it to my desktop and run scans on it. Luckily I had a SATA to USB dongle to use.

Once I snapped the HD back in the laptop it sprung to life just fine. All is back to normal with the admonishment to my granddaughter to stay away from links presented on Facebook. She thinks that is where she got it.

Questor

  • Re: Cant download files with IE 6
    ... I downloaded a file from> SpySweeper that does a quickie audit of the system for malware. ... > When I tried to download to the errant laptop, I got as far as the small> download warning dialog box. ... >> Jason Brown ...
  • Re: Inability to download with IE6
    ... Sorry if we'd covered any of the following before in Aumha Forums but... ... a desktop and a laptop connected to a router receiving ... When I attempted to download, the page came up that says the ... downloaded a McAfee audit tool to scan for the latest malware ...
  • Re: malware affecting IE7 on XP
    ... Use my Remove-it software, my site is not blocked by that malware, it will remove that malware from your system. ... Download it here http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm ... laptop wouldn't allow it. ... but the infected laptop won't let either of them execute. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Cant download files with IE 6
    ... i would write off norton except that the download failures occur at other ... >> tried some other download sites from the laptop. ... I did a Symantec ... >> looked for the latest malware and came up clean. ...
  • Re: Home page
    ... CWS parasite variants to remove. ... The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet connection. ... Download their uninstaller, uninstall.exe. ... and SpyBot per the directions in Basic, ...