Re: upgrading to 8gigs

An interesting discussion. My ID and e-mail are fictitious but I want to pose the question anyway.

I upgraded my laptop from 1GB to 2GB in an effort to make Firefox and Flock and Safari, and Hauptwerk Pipe Organ software work better. No difference.

Are there any non-essential Windows services and applications that can be stopped or put on MANUAL instead of AUTOMATIC, that will free up more processing power by eliminating overhead of unnecessary services?

If so, which? I can stop the Sidebar, change to Classic Windows, reduce the screen resolution, etc., but I work most of my time on my laptop and it overheats sometimes.

If anyone wants to answer privately please address to iansamson3 at gmail dot com

thanks.

Clark wrote:
aryno86 wrote:
Hello, i have a quick question just to clarify something.

I apologize in advance for any confusion over terms.

When i bought my system it came with 4 gigs and Vista Home Premium x64.
I had many compatibility issues with games and programs so i then put
Ultimate 32bit on it. Now i would like to put another 4gigs of ram on my
system and just wanted to make sure that it would accept more. I plan on
putting windows 7 x64 on it shortly. It has enough slots for 8gigs of
ram and was originally a 64bit system. It appears okay to me but i would
like some assurance :).

Thanks, Andrew

Well, I will answer this question: Will Windows 7 be more stable than Vista as far as using 8 gigs -- I don't think so. If you use the same memory you used before and other things being the same, I would say you will see the compatibility issues continue.

As I believe was suggested, different memory might help.

Clark
.