Re: Offline Maintenance (Environment)

An operating system must be running. How would you write data to a hard
drive without an operating system or some sort of software running on the
P/C?
What you describe is possible, but involved, using Linux, for example. (Just
another level of complexity.)
Eventually, windows must run to properly integrate the changes.
The classic over lan method to do updates, etc. involves downloading files
from a server, invoking some type of install process, then forcing a reboot.

"Cavaldi" <Cavaldi.41dq84@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Does anyone know if it is possible to do maintenance - including
installation of new software and permorming updates of existing software
- of a Vista installation which is local but Offline, ie, not running at
that moment?

Safe Mode is not an option in the scenario I'm working under.

--
Cavaldi

  • RE: WinXP and HP ScanJet 5300cxi scanner installation issues
    ... Epson 880 Inkjet printer on my Windows XP operating system. ... > I have contacted HP support for help resolving the installation issues ... > the scanner driver and HP software installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • clean my computer prior to installation.
    ... >Because it could be the XP installation only saved the ... >operating system. ... >loaded but on separate partitions you can format them by ... >>tried to format the harddisc using the cd rom. ...
  • Device manager Unknown Device & PCI Device (yellow warning)
    ... This brought up the Win2K "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard". ... I downloaded the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" version ... This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to ... properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB & AGP." ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Device manager Unknown Device & PCI Device (yellow warning)
    ... This brought up the Win2K "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard". ... I downloaded the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" version ... This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to ... properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB & AGP." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Device manager Unknown Device & PCI Device (yellow warning)
    ... This brought up the Win2K "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard". ... I downloaded the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" version ... This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to ... properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB & AGP." ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade)