Re: Can't install Vista SP2

Charles W Davis;1187415 Wrote:
Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down
the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
double
click. The error message went something like this: "This file does not
have
a program associated with it from performing this action. Create an
association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way
"restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came
across
this page:
'File association fixes for Windows Vista'
(http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html)

With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.

Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
scan -
nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
cookie. I
went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service Pack 1. It
installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack 2. Error
0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means of
installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
insignificant
updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had already done,
so I
did it again. No dice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Follow to below article to resolve issue:'Error message when you try to
install updates in Windows Vista, and the installation may fail:
"WBEM_E_CRITICAL_ERROR (0x8004100A)"'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577)

--
Flavius

  • Re: error message installing Service Pack 2?
    ... I called them and they wanted me to put in my Windows Vista Home Premium ... Install the stand-alone package for the service pack ... Run the System Update Readiness Tool ...
  • Re: SERVICE PACK 2 WINDOWS VISTA ULIMATE (KB948465)
    ... Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2. ... You'll find additional support for Vista SP2 issues in these forums: ... beginning the install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073715
    ... It always comes back OK after re-booting, but it is annoying and doesn't give me good feelings about the stability of Windows Vista. ... You stated that you tried " running the download installer package ". ... After rebooting, I tried again to install KB 938371, once through Windows update and once through running the downloaded installer package. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Error Code 80073712 - Windows Vista SP2
    ... Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). ... Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2: "An internal error occurred while installing the service pack": ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Unexpected recurring but very intermitant ding.
    ... Core task of the Windows Vista Task Scheduler. ... During that clean install process, let Vista update and that can take more ... Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 7.00.6000.16386 * ...