Re: Why is my Windows Vista extremely slow?

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:39:36 -0800, "Dustin Harper"
<dharper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

CCleaner cleans out your registry and temp files.

Everything CCleaner does, it does well. It's a good program and I
recommend it highly. But the one of its features I would strongly
recommend *against* uses is its registry cleaning feature.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

You would also need an
Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware program to clean it thoroughly.

Bear in mind that the word "malware" is simply a shortening of
MALicious softWARE. So viruses and spyware are two types of malware
and an anti-virus program *is* an anti-malware program.

What you mean, I assume, is an anti-virus program and an anti-spyware
program. Yes, I agree (it's likely that Natalie is infected), except
that I always recommend at least two anti-spyware programs. The two
best ones are MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (which you recommend below)
and SuperAntiSpyware.

Try Microsoft Security Essentials (www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials) or
AVG Free (http://www.avg.com). Both are free. Also, try Malwarebytes
(http://www.malwarebytes.org) for a great anti-malware program.

Run those in addition to CCleaner, and your computer should improve in speed
and reliability.

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com
dharper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Natalie S" <Natalie.S.53e1523@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

My laptop has gotten so slow and I dont know whats causing it and would
like to know how to fix it without having to send it away to get fixed
(im too skint)

I have LOADS of space left, barely anything installed, and ive no idea
on what is causing this problem. Ive tried using CCleaner to search for
viruses and to clean the laptop up but it said there were none found.

Thanks to all x

--
Natalie S

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: SP3 and CCleaner
    ... I've used CCleaner, it doesn't have a log or any way to Undo ... Any Registry Editor that has Find & Replace, ... users who come here are not registry savvy much less ... person would but I do try to recommend as benign a solution as ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Odd list of unused file extensions
    ... I sincerely doubt that any "cleaning" of the registry using CCleaner ... Malwarebytes, and at least one other malware scanner/remover... ... Some I am looking for a root cause, ...
  • Re: error message on startup
    ... The malware was removed, but the reference to the file, mwsbar.dll was ... not removed from the registry. ... I would recommend that you use Windows Defender/Lavasoft Adaware/ ...
  • Re: Ask Technica Umratica
    ... Several sites seem to think that registry ... could anyone recommend a good program? ... I use Ccleaner, which seems to keep ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: CCleaner
    ... i wouldn't recommend it.... ... You don't have to use the registry cleaning part of CCleaner if you don't know how. ... You can use CCLeaner to clean out all temp files ect. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)