Re: My computer view

Hi, Vanilla.

You're welcome, of course.

We know what the problem is. Many of us know. But we don't know how to fix it. :>(

We don't know how to spread the word except by one message at a time. And those making money off those ads are not likely to help us. Or to help their "members".

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"vanilla" <vanilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ObbaHxRWKHA.1792@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RC ... thank you very much for this detail ... for years I have wondered why I would only see the tail end of a thread, wondering what had gone wrong ... where were the other posts in the thread? I have even unsubscribed and then subscribed again ... now I know ... thanks ... plain ole vanilla

"R. C. White" <rc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:exOfWQNWKHA.4484@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Questor.

The problem is that these posters are not contacting the Microsoft public newsgroups directly. They have subscribed to some "forum" on the Internet that appears to be the home base of "experts". The user with a problem posts the question to that "forum" - which does nothing but relay the post to these newsgroups, hoping that someone here will volunteer an answer. Then the "forum" can "slurp" or "leech" the free message and post it on their "forum". They collect advertising revenue from clicks on their "forum" and thereby profit from the free, voluntary efforts of those who volunteer to help in newsgroups. This particular message from Arakai was relayed via the "vBulletin USENET gateway" from the forum at "NNTP-Posting-Host: vistax64.com 74.86.192.138", which proudly displays, "Ads by Google".

Trouble is, as you see, that the "forum" doesn't bother to send any context along with the bare-naked question. And, often, the question is like Arakai's; that is, it's a followup to a previous question on the "forum"; Arakai can see the previous question, so he thinks that we can see it, too. So neither the "forum" nor the individual poster bother to include the prior message(s). We are left wondering what "the same problem as this guy" might have been. Even if we spend some time composing a helpful answer, we have no way of knowing if Arakai will ever see our work.

It's most frustrating!

Any time we see a post from "<guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>", especially if the Subject starts with "Re:", and most especially if the message starts with, "I have the exact same problem...", then we know that we probably are wasting our time to try to provide an answer. That's mostly because we can only guess at what the actual question or problem might be, and because we have no confidence that the questioner will ever have a chance to read our response. The time that we spend answering these questions that go into a black hole is time that we could spend helping users who will actually see our responses.

And there's really no dependable way to get word back to the "forum member" about what's happening.

THAT's why it appears that so many questions in these Microsoft public newsgroups are ignored.

Arakai, if you DO happen to see this message, then "cut out the middleman" and post directly to this newsgroup at:

Be sure to tell us what your actual problem or question is and you are almost sure to get a helpful response.

RC

"Questor" <Questor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#SnqZJjVKHA.504@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--->
"Arakai" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eb65752f5aeef8fbc73f48da3434e209@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

im having the same problem as this guy. can anyone help? i remember
solving this same problem but ive always forgot how to. please

--
Arakai

If you don't quote the original problem you are referring too, and don't take the time and energy to describe your own problem, you are not likely to obtain assistance anywhere.

Amen to that Richard. There seems to be a lot of "me too" posts lately. If they don't quote the original post I just forget them.

Questor

  • Re: My computer view
    ... The problem is that these posters are not contacting the Microsoft public newsgroups directly. ... The user with a problem posts the question to that "forum" - which does nothing but relay the post to these newsgroups, hoping that someone here will volunteer an answer. ... This particular message from Arakai was relayed via the "vBulletin USENET gateway" from the forum at "NNTP-Posting-Host: vistax64.com 74.86.192.138", which proudly displays, "Ads by Google". ... That's mostly because we can only guess at what the actual question or problem might be, and because we have no confidence that the questioner will ever have a chance to read our response. ...
  • Re: My computer view
    ... The problem is that these posters are not contacting the Microsoft public newsgroups directly. ... The user with a problem posts the question to that "forum" - which does nothing but relay the post to these newsgroups, hoping that someone here will volunteer an answer. ... This particular message from Arakai was relayed via the "vBulletin USENET gateway" from the forum at "NNTP-Posting-Host: vistax64.com 74.86.192.138", which proudly displays, "Ads by Google". ...
  • Re: Product Key problem
    ... days after that however my modem broke so Ive been using my friends ... I didn't remove the trial first but I'll try that ... You probably don't realise that the "forum" you are posting through leaches off the Microsoft public newsgroups in order to give the appearance of being far busier than it really is. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: How can I use VBA ADO to check if a table exists in an Access DB?
    ... I am afraid that I cannot help you with that question. ... the forum, I connect to the Microsoft public newsgroups, where questions on ... your forum are forwarded to. ... > Thanks, Bob. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: WHAT happened to alt.coffee
    ... after a few seconds the aroma of that one homeless person would start to ... self-serving and self-absorbed who have ever posted on this forum. ... self-absorbed, contemptuous, disrespectful, egotistical and bullying ... by the response this posting gets how the responsible parties feel ...
    (alt.coffee)