Re: Phantom CD Drive
- From: StephenD <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:19:16 -0500
I had a problem with a phantom K: drive.
Pat Garard described it perfectly.
The K: drive wasn't displayed in device manager or disk manager,
although the letter was reserved in disk manager and I couldn't use it.
Thinking this was a problem with a USB device I uninstalled all these
devices, unplugged everything and restarted the computer. The devices
were all rediscovered, and the K: drive didn't go away.
I had none of the DVD playing/recording software or other software
others have reported causing this sort of issue.
I have a EXT2 file system driver, but that wasn't the reason either.
I think I hit the computer with a hammer exactly twice. The K: drive
didn't go away.
I deleted all the entries under HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices and
restarted the system. The K: drive was gone. Afterward I had to re-map
some USB drives but that was all.
Hope this works for you.
- Prev by Date: Re: Every program related to Vista, isn't working
- Next by Date: Re: Can I Restore Files From Backup Again?
- Previous by thread: Every program related to Vista, isn't working
- Next by thread: Re: Can I Restore Files From Backup Again?