Re: Phantom CD Drive

I had a problem with a phantom K: drive.
Pat Garard described it perfectly.

The K: drive wasn't displayed in device manager or disk manager,
although the letter was reserved in disk manager and I couldn't use it.

Thinking this was a problem with a USB device I uninstalled all these
devices, unplugged everything and restarted the computer. The devices
were all rediscovered, and the K: drive didn't go away.

I had none of the DVD playing/recording software or other software
others have reported causing this sort of issue.
I have a EXT2 file system driver, but that wasn't the reason either.

I think I hit the computer with a hammer exactly twice. The K: drive
didn't go away.

I deleted all the entries under HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices and
restarted the system. The K: drive was gone. Afterward I had to re-map
some USB drives but that was all.

Hope this works for you.

Stephen

--
StephenD

  • RE: Logical Disk Manager Service Error
    ... > Logical Disk Manager Service under Disk Management. ... >> partition that is not affected and has enough free space. ... >> Silicon Image SATA controller recently and the problem is still the same. ... >> are used as single drives, ...
  • Re: SAN Drive Presentation
    ... I mistakenly was comparing "paths" instead of drives. ... Cluster disk resource 'DHCP Physical Storage' could not be mounted. ... Cluster resource 'DHCP Physical Storage' in Resource Group 'DHCP Server' ... Coincidently, on my Exchange cluster, Disk Manager mirrors betwee the two ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
  • Re: Hard drive reporting wrong size...
    ... Disk Manager only shows the smaller size. ... I ran the SCSI utility when I booted the system and the ... drives appear. ... > Microsoft Certified Professional ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.new_user)
  • Re: RAID Question
    ... drive in disk manager because it doesn't know that the drive is (or could ... creating RAID arrays, but theses are software RAID, not the hardware RAID ... the drives are a RAID pair. ... > install that I had to reinstall last year when it was delivered. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • "Device install Error" on startup:logical disks
    ... Extended Partition w/1 logical Drives: ... I had to go into Task Mangager to kill Disk Manager. ... Device Installer Error) Once for each logical disks (other than the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)