Re: System Restore and Missing Links

peter wrote:

I have a one week old HP with Vista Premium x64. I have not made the
system restore disks yet. Been busy sorting out software problems

I have the following problems:

Control panel will not open on the start menu or through explorer when I
click on it. The subdirectories will open when I click on the carrot on
the left of control panel in explorer.
FreeCell.exe will not run.
System restore will not find a restore point. It is not working properly.
" The volume shadow service used by system restore is not working. For
more information view the event log.(0x81000202)

All the other software I have check is operating. Firefox is a little
balky even without addins.

1. Make the recovery disc set *now*.

2. Since the system is new, restore it to factory condition. Once restored,
uninstall unwanted/obsolete/trial software. If McAfee or Norton came
preinstalled, replace it with Avast or Avira (free versions). Update to
Service Pack 2 if necessary. If the computer misbehaves, contact HP tech
support or take it back to where you bought it for immediate replacement.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Computer problem;
    ... > And access to icon's in control Panel are not opening up. ... > administraor, why? ... Hold down the Windows key (the key located between the Ctrl key and the Alt ... That should start System Restore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Control Panel Unresponsive
    ... In another thread to the origianl base note I mentioned another symptom that ... Control Panel or Right-click on the desktop seem to be hung. ... I'm giving consideration to doing a system restore back to a point before XP ... >> Whenever I launch Control Panel it comes up fine, ...
  • Re: Im a numpty!
    ... Would a 'System Restore' put it back to how it was? ... What that does is to Open up a Control panel Applet thingy that doesn't ... But be aware that there's actually an awful lot of (well meaning but) ... Cos I don't use OE QuoteFix... ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: anyone ever seen this?
    ... > i have done a complete system restore on my laptop ... > my quick launch buttons sometimes appear upon reboot, ... control panel) it will open control panel instead of allowing ... > to use the sliding menus. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: need help pleaze
    ... >> acess control panel items because when i hit control panel the same ... 3- i cant do a system restore i go into it and have no ...