Re: Can I force Vista to reserve some free memory?

I agree. The simpler, the better.

Questor

--->
I am not certain about this. For audio settings VirtualBox does have a setting that involves DirectSound. I recently reinstalled Vista and haven't yet reinstalled VirtualBox so I can't do any checking for you. The original poster found a solution to the problem that does seem much simpler.

Regards
Chris Saunders

"Questor" <Questor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OVxzF76TKHA.5584@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Absolutely, Chris. There are several other out there too. I only mentioned MS VPC as a 'generic' answer to the OP. Your solution is probably a better one if the old application needs more video RAM. MSVPC doesn't support DirectX or OpenGL either (I think). Does VirtualBox?

Questor

--->
There is also VirtualBox from Sun. I noticed that you mentioned that video was restricted on the Microsoft Virtual PC to 4 or 8 megabytes. On VirtualBox you can have 128 megabytes of video memory. I have found myself unable to run Solaris on Microsoft Virtual PC but it runs fine on VirtualBox. I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I have found VirtualBox to be my favorite amongst the few I have tried.

Regards
Chris Saunders

"Questor" <Questor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O5wRCa4TKHA.4484@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--->
I'm on a HP, running 64 bit Vista. 2.1GHz Dual Core, 4GB DDR2 SDRAM. (I don't really speak "computer" very well)

I am trying to run some 10 year old software. It installed fine, but
when I try to run it the program first does a check to make sure I have
enough available RAM. When it checks my Free RAM it says I have -130MB
of Free RAM and the program won't even try to start.

Now - I understand from reading these forums that VISTA ties up all
available RAM. Is there a way to tell VISTA to keep some 80MB or so
free so that my software will start?

Thanks.

Sounds like your older software would be a candidate for a Virtual Machine. It's free - just check the Microsoft site for it. Once installed you can put whatever operating system you may have lying around on it (or what the software really wants). It's like having another machine inside your physical machine. You can assign RAM, ports, and such to it. The video emulated is only 4 or 8 MB (I forget which) but that may not be important depending on your software.

I have seven virtual machines on my Vista machine all running various flavors of Windows and Linux.

Questor

.