Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login

The solution turned out to be to modify the user account control (UAC)
to stop blacking out the screen. As soon as I changed this setting so it
was disabled, I was able to log in successfully to the "nuked" login
even after a reboot. The rest of this post covers how to do this, but I
must warn you it means the security settings are changed on your
computer as a result and this may have negative consequences. You have
been warned ... :)

This works on Windows Vista Business, which is what I have installed.
It may or may not work on other editions of Windows Vista. This may also
not necessarily fix the black screen after login issue for you.

Open up the Microsoft Management Console by pressing the windows key +
R to bring up the run dialog, enter "mmc" into the box.

You'll be prompted by UAC to continue. Click "Continue". From the
management console main menu, select "File" then "Add/Remove Snap-in".
Locate the "Group Policy Object" and click the "Add" button.

Another dialog will appear. Just click the "Finish" button and then
"OK".

The console root in the left side will now show a "Local Computer"
option. Expand this, then "Computer Configuration" then "Windows
Settings" then "Security Settings" then "Local Policies" then click on
"Security Options.

Once you have clicked the "Security Options" icon, the right pane will
show a whole bunch of options. Scroll to the bottom until you find the
one named "User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when
prompting for elevation". Double-click it.

Change it to "Disabled" and then click "OK". You can now exit the
management console and you will no longer get that black screen when UAC
prompts you to do something. In my case it means that when I log into my
user account I get a regular desktop instead of the black screen of
death! It's kind of odd that this is what was causing the issue but I'm
glad it has fixed it.

--
ChadiDargham

  • Re: After Vista Loading Bar Gets Black Screen WIth Cursor
    ... The solution turned out to be to modify the user account control (UAC) ... This works on Windows Vista Business, which is what I have installed. ... You'll be prompted by UAC to continue. ... Once you have clicked the "Security Options" icon, ...
  • RE: Legacy application installations
    ... the issue happens on Windows Vista but not on ... UAC completely. ... Double-Click User Account ... Windows User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide ...
  • Re: turn off permissions
    ... But I did what I wanted and now I still have the choice of turning User Account Security on or off. ... Then there is a box that you can check: Use UAC to help protect your computer. ... However, when I went to just MOVE a folder, it still says I need permission. ...
  • Re: capin crunches parental acknowledgment...LOL!
    ... User Account Control, or UAC is perhaps the most significant and ... UAC is a security technology that makes it ... Internet does not trigger UAC prompts. ... and only the authorization window is active and highlighted. ...
  • Re: Help - Weatherlink - Vista
    ... install and run it from an Admin-rights user account or with UAC ... legacy camera software to use a directory in there it only works for the ... The "virtual store". ...
    (uk.sci.weather)