Re: upgrading to 8gigs

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:64f6d5l6qvccilfh4tce86qnqlebp9t5mn@xxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:38:22 +0200, "amlandreau"
<amlandreau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

The maximum "address space" for Vista is 4 giga that includes all memory
physically installed (drivers, graphic card, etc..) .
Going to 8 giga will not help.

That is not correct. The 4GB limitation (and you can't actually use
the entire 4GB anyway) is for *32-bit* client versions of Windows.
Since he will run the 64-bit version, there is no such limitation.

Whether the applications that he runs can make effective use of 8GB is
another question entirely, and it's possible that he will see no
improvement by having 8GB instead of 4.

That's right. Unless he's running Photoshop CS4 in 64 bit
mode with multiple large bitmaps open simultaneously, or
another similar application, 8GB won't be used. It's a waste
with 32 bit apps as most can't address more than 2GB of
memory, and most that are large address aware are limited
to 3GB. When 64 bit apps become the norm, this will
change, but all our present systems will probably be
obsolete by then.

"aryno86" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Hello, i have a quick question just to clarify something.

I apologize in advance for any confusion over terms.

When i bought my system it came with 4 gigs and Vista Home Premium x64.
I had many compatibility issues with games and programs so i then put
Ultimate 32bit on it. Now i would like to put another 4gigs of ram on
my
system and just wanted to make sure that it would accept more. I plan
on
putting windows 7 x64 on it shortly. It has enough slots for 8gigs of
ram and was originally a 64bit system. It appears okay to me but i
would
like some assurance :).

Thanks, Andrew

--
aryno86

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: Event Viewer - "unexpected shutdowns"
    ... be advised I ran the 'repair' options within the last two weeks a few times by booting from the Vista CD. ... The memory diagnostic tool ran cleanly - as reported during the test and after the reboot - nothing to report. ... The attempted chkdsk from the command prompt reported that I did not have the privilege & advised I had to run in 'elevated mode' - I had never heard or read such a term & have been a PC enthusiast since Windows 3.0 from 1990. ... PS - I should add that upon rebooting after an unexpected shutdown - Vista asks if Safe Mode is desired during rebooting. ...
  • Re: Event Viewer - "unexpected shutdowns"
    ... be advised I ran the 'repair' options within the last two weeks a few times by booting from the Vista CD. ... The memory diagnostic tool ran cleanly - as reported during the test and after the reboot - nothing to report. ... The attempted chkdsk from the command prompt reported that I did not have the privilege & advised I had to run in 'elevated mode' - I had never heard or read such a term & have been a PC enthusiast since Windows 3.0 from 1990. ... PS - I should add that upon rebooting after an unexpected shutdown - Vista asks if Safe Mode is desired during rebooting. ...
  • Re: Acronis Plop-in Clone Success with Vista 64
    ... Vista seemed completely ... If my memory is correct, this number is low, in the single digits. ... inability to boot into Windows, ... Windows Backup and Restore for backup. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Does Vista Home Premimum Play Nice With 4GB Memory?
    ... 32-bit Vista does not know how to manage 4 GB memory, which is odd, since ... It's not just Vista, it's *all* 32-bit client versions of Windows. ...
  • Re: RAM Upgrade
    ... I am running Windows Vista x64 SP1. ... When I view system settings indeed the system reports 8.00 GB memory. ...