Re: upgrading to 8gigs

He is going to install the x64 version of Win7 which will easily accomodate 8GB of ram. The limitation is in the 32-bit (x86) version.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
"amlandreau" <amlandreau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:D822536A-5F00-457B-819D-97AC6C89CCFD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Andrew,

The maximum "address space" for Vista is 4 giga that includes all memory physically installed (drivers, graphic card, etc..) .
Going to 8 giga will not help.

André

"aryno86" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:b03868fbd3b9956f04c07d86b9a0c667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello, i have a quick question just to clarify something.

I apologize in advance for any confusion over terms.

When i bought my system it came with 4 gigs and Vista Home Premium x64.
I had many compatibility issues with games and programs so i then put
Ultimate 32bit on it. Now i would like to put another 4gigs of ram on my
system and just wanted to make sure that it would accept more. I plan on
putting windows 7 x64 on it shortly. It has enough slots for 8gigs of
ram and was originally a 64bit system. It appears okay to me but i would
like some assurance :).

Thanks, Andrew

--
aryno86

  • Re: Speed problem with Intel Q6600 (Quad Core) and Ultimate 64-Bit
    ... Keep in mind though that memory at addresses above the 4GB mark cannot be used by 32 bit applications, so unless yours are designed to take advantage of x64 there's not much point to installing more than that amount. ... That said, wait until after you install x64 to add the additional memory. ... The reason being that there is a timing issue when all 4 ram slots are in use during an x64 setup. ... i hve installed vista ultimate 32 bit and its working fine, ...
  • Re: Vi$ta x64 and M2N-E
    ... I could install it with only 2G RAM. ... All attempts to install Vi$ta x64 ... when the motherboard was 4G RAM would fail. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Compact SQL - Any CPU Build
    ... After the install, I confirmed the keys were created under ... our application can be installed on both of the x86 and x64 platform. ... But if we want to compile it as x64 version, ... Microsoft Online Community Support ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: SP3 issues
    ... but clean reinstall is something I'm trying to avoid. ... install SP3 before upping the RAM. ... Non-viral malware is one of the most common causes of slow PCs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Compact SQL - Any CPU Build
    ... leave it so it can install on either x86 or x64. ... compiled two times one for x86 and one for x64... ... But if we want to compile it as x64 version, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)