Re: HIgh RAM-----slow PC

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:25:37 +0100, asta-la-Vista
<asta-la-Vista.3zjog2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi I looked for posts dealing with RAM and had trouble finding, I
thought everybody had problems with slow PCs.........

Now i need some advice please I have a Vista that is 1 1/2 years old
and it had become really slow. RAM is high even when all applications
are off and Firefox can use up to 1GB of memory and I have 2G/, I used
software like RAMboost

Software like that is junk that is far more likely to worsen the
problem than to solve it.

and did the long OnceCare scan with MCS,
defragmented drives, increased the memory that can be used as RAM on the
hard drive.

Page File? Doing that was unnecessary.

etc.....many things recommended. still same nothing is
changed after a short while.....

Is reformatting and bringing back to how it was when I bought my only
hope?

The two most likely things that would degrade your performance are
what malware infection, and what background programs start up
automatically.

Malware infection is most likely. What anti-virus and antispyware
programs do you run? Are they kept up to date?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  • Re: 1G vs. 512 - noticeable performance difference?
    ... If the number of foreground programs and background programs RAM consumption is greater than ... disk swap file. ... 1GB the chances are the number of foreground programs and background programs RAM ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Slow
    ... You can change to a faster processor, faster hard drive, faster video ... card. ... If you don't have enough RAM to keep you from using the page file, ... You can look at the background programs you have starting automatically ...
  • Re: Updating from 98 to XP
    ... John Herbster typed: ... > My XP Pro is running very slowly with 256 MB. ... As always, how much RAM you need depends on what apps you run, ... background programs starting automatically. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: HIgh RAM-----slow PC
    ... Hi I looked for posts dealing with RAM and had trouble finding, ... defragmented drives, increased the memory that can be used as RAM on the ... And should Firefox take a bloody 1 GB of RAM alone? ...