Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?

Found this on-line here http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/154369-task-scheduler-corrupt.html :

"I solved my problems by doing a Google search for the words.
I then used windows explorer to navigate to
C:/Windows/System32/Tasks/Microsoft/Media Centre
and deleted mcupdate.
I don't know why this task was not visible in Task Scheduler but the above
procedure seems to have worked."

Instead of deleting it, try renaming it first and see what happens.

I think if you try to run something that interferes with the other, it probably will not run and leave an error in the log file. Don't know for sure; I've never run into that problem.

SC Tom

David
"DirtyDawg" <DirtyDawg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:B58B3419-7344-49A4-9389-7D0820F992AA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ah Oh, :(

I went to my other machine (Desktop Vista Home Premium 32b) went through the
same procedure to get into the Task Scheduler and as soon as it loads up I
get a rectangular box, from Task Scheduler, saying "The task image is corrupt
or has been tampered with.mcupdate". However I can just click ok to that
message and still get into it and see that the manual running of DD by me was
successful, so I don't know what is up there. Is there a way to fix this
error message by doing something on my own? Possibly just deleting the
current Tasks or something and then re-entering them? Thanks.

"DirtyDawg" wrote:

Hello SC Tom, thanks for replying to another one of my topics here. :)

I got into the scheduler like you described and found that there are
multiple arguments in there already, one of which is the -i that you
mentioned. However there are two others that are not in the help file either
and would like to know if you know what they represent as well? They are -e
and -g.

I ask this because if I try to use the -f force switch and something else
like -w for a full fragmentation, and one of these other arguments is
something that is the oposite, well you know where I'm going with this right.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and hope to hear from you again soon.

"SC Tom" wrote:

> "DirtyDawg" <DirtyDawg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >I was under the impression for quite some time now that when you run > >Disk
> > Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you > > tell it
> > to. Now it seems that it really doesn't, it just goes out and checks > > to
> > see
> > if IT THINKS IT NEEDS IT, and then goes from there. Because of > > starting
> > use my systems sleep mode more often, I've found it necessary to run > > DD
> > manually and it seems like to me that it hasn't defraged the drive AT > > ALL
> > this last YEAR and 1/2. I say this because defrag has been running > > for 2
> > hours now and is still going. I'm assuming that it is because it has > > never
> > really defragged my drive at all. Is my assumption correct? How > > would a
> > person go about checking that the drive has actually been defragged > > or
> > not?
> > I mean really defragged, not the program defrag deciding one way or > > the
> > other. Thanks.
> >
> Here are your options for defrag:

> improve system performance.
>
> Syntax: defrag <volume> -a [-v]
> defrag <volume> [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
> defrag -c [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
>
> Parameters:
>
> Value Description
> <volume> Specifies the drive letter or mount point path of the > volume
> be defragmented or analyzed.
>
> -c Defragments all volumes on this computer.
>
> -a Performs fragmentation analysis only.
>
> -r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to
> consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes > (MB).
>
> -w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate > all
> file
> fragments, regardless of their size.
>
> -f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is > low.
>
> -v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
> output
> is more detailed.
>
> -? Displays this help information."
>
> If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
> highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll > bring
> it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
> (optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though > it's
> not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)
>
> SC Tom

  • Re: Defragmenting Hard Drive
    ... write a script that you can schedule using Task Scheduler. ... For your Windows 2000 systems, there is no defrag command line interface. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.file_system)
  • Re: Defragmenter no longer works
    ... it appears Task Scheduler only affects the ... > There is a Logical Disk Manager service and a Logical Disk Manager ... The Task Scheduler service has nothing to do with defrag ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Cant Defrag drive C
    ... >type chkdsk/f and hit enter..Still not sure why its ... >into your task scheduler and remove check disk from ... >>I have a new XPhome problem. ... I ran defrag on it. ...
  • Re: Scheduling defrag
    ... I would like use task scheduler to run a defrag once a week ... click your defrag job and select Properties from the menu. ... Schedule a Task to Defragment Drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Defragmenter no longer works
    ... > There is a Logical Disk Manager service and a Logical Disk Manager ... > unless you want to schedule a defrag. ... > Administrative Service service and the Task Scheduler service all disabled ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)