Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?

Hello SC Tom, thanks for replying to another one of my topics here. :)

I got into the scheduler like you described and found that there are
multiple arguments in there already, one of which is the -i that you
mentioned. However there are two others that are not in the help file either
and would like to know if you know what they represent as well? They are -e
and -g.

I ask this because if I try to use the -f force switch and something else
like -w for a full fragmentation, and one of these other arguments is
something that is the oposite, well you know where I'm going with this right.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and hope to hear from you again soon.

"SC Tom" wrote:

"DirtyDawg" <DirtyDawg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I was under the impression for quite some time now that when you run Disk
Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you tell it
to. Now it seems that it really doesn't, it just goes out and checks to
see
if IT THINKS IT NEEDS IT, and then goes from there. Because of starting
use my systems sleep mode more often, I've found it necessary to run DD
manually and it seems like to me that it hasn't defraged the drive AT ALL
this last YEAR and 1/2. I say this because defrag has been running for 2
hours now and is still going. I'm assuming that it is because it has never
really defragged my drive at all. Is my assumption correct? How would a
person go about checking that the drive has actually been defragged or
not?
I mean really defragged, not the program defrag deciding one way or the
other. Thanks.

Here are your options for defrag:

improve system performance.

Syntax: defrag <volume> -a [-v]
defrag <volume> [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
defrag -c [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]

Parameters:

Value Description
<volume> Specifies the drive letter or mount point path of the volume
be defragmented or analyzed.

-c Defragments all volumes on this computer.

-a Performs fragmentation analysis only.

-r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to
consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).

-w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all
file
fragments, regardless of their size.

-f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.

-v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
output
is more detailed.

-? Displays this help information."

If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll bring
it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
(optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though it's
not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)

SC Tom

  • Re: how to schedule MS degragmenter?
    ... manual way to run Defrag is to click to Start/Control ... you launch the tool via a command line plus ... I have a batch file called "DEFRAG_ALL.BAT" for example, ... Using Task Scheduler To Complete The Process ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?
    ... "SC Tom" wrote: ... I don't know why this task was not visible in Task Scheduler but the above ... Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you ... fragments, regardless of their size. ...
  • Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?
    ... same procedure to get into the Task Scheduler and as soon as it loads up I ... Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you tell it ... Locates and consolidates fragmented files on local volumes to ... consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes. ...
  • Re: Vista hang after inactivity
    ... minutes and then try to run something then the explorer hangs and doesn't, ... Simple fix is to rename DfrgNtfs.exe in C:\Windows\System32. ... Other avenues I'm looking at is turning off scheduled defrag and only doing manual. ... I am guessing here, but I think if you miss too many defrags, it gets queued up by Task Scheduler and it keeps calling for defrag and defrag ends up getting preempted by itself and gets stuck in a loop. ...
  • Re: Vista hang after inactivity
    ... shell hangs then it will continue to work whereas the explorer is ... Simple fix is to rename DfrgNtfs.exe (you need to take ownership to ... Other avenues I'm looking at is turning off scheduled defrag and only ... ScheduledDefrag under Task Scheduler, ...