Re: BSOD atleast ones every day

I would suggest you check the computer case for proper cooling. When you run a virus scan you are really working the CPU. Each file checked must be opened, checked and then closed. This really works the CPU and will cause it to run at an elevated temperature.

If your cooling is not up to snuff your computer may well shut down to prevent damage. The video card may also overheat under these circumstances.

Check the cooling fins beneath the CPU cooling fan. Are they clean and free of dirt/dust? Does the computer run just fine with the side of the case removed and a small fan blowing gently into the case?

You may have to add additional cooling fans to the case to bring down the internal temps when the system is working hard. A front fan blowing air into the case and a rear fan blowing air out of the case is recommended. If the computer is old the case may not have a provision for a front fan.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"yseptis" <yseptis.3pvfvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:yseptis.3pvfvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi
I am a new user here with a bit of a problem, a few months ago I bought
my friends old computer. I knew he had have some problems whit it but I
assumed (yes I know big mistake) that it simply had to do with his low
power output. The motherboard and the main processor was sent to the
retailer and checked and came back with a clean bill of health. I since
switched the cooler for the processing unit and went with more power.
Well that helped a little, after this I was able to watch 1080p movies
without any BSOD for most of the time but I still got BSOD once every 24
h. I quickly identified the source of that problem as being AVG security
8.0.277, every time the program ran a search for viruses the computer
crashed, so I removed it and with it that specific problem went away.
The computer still crashes although more randomly then before, for the
most part I can do heavy things like watching a 1080p movies without
incident but sometimes it crashes. I get at least one BSOD a day at
different times all with the same BCcode 124. I have exhausted myself
trying to find a solution and have been unable to use windbg since I for
some reason can't set a valid path file to symbols. This is really my
last resort, short of throwing the computer out the window.
Below I will past relevant information about the problem and my
computer, if you need more just say and I will supply it as quickly as
possible .I will also attach the dmb file and a systems report by Sandra
so someone can have a look at it. The computer specs can be viewed in
the system report.
7842

7843
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be
available)
Mini033009-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt