Re: winlogon.exe corrupt file issue...can't run chkdsk

mywildphoenix wrote:
This might be long as I've trying to research this on my own for a few
days now.

I got this error message a few days ago saying that my file or
directory for windows/cursors was corrupt or unreadable. Please run
chkdsk utility. The computer still boots into windows with no apparent
issue and I can still use the comptuer completely without problems. The
issue I'm having is that it wants me to run chkdsk. It tells me chkdsk
cannot run and that I need to rerun it on start up. When I restart the
computer after scheduling it to run on startup, the computer starts and
does nothing. It goes into the welcome screen after I have signed into
my profile and hangs there. I've left it as long as 2 hours with no
change. To make it stop, I manually shut the computer off which I don't
think is the best way to go about handling this! I've tried using the
"cmd" prompt and have gotten the same thing. I also have the recovery
discs that came with the computer from ASUS for "windows vista recovery
media for windows vista products 64 bit". I have read through some of
the threads here looking for info and it all points to me needing to
repair windows, but can't find that prompt anywhere. I can't get the
disc to load either.

What do I do at this point?

If it helps, I have an ASUS notebook N80Vb series with Intel Core 2Duo
CPU t6400@xxxxxxxx My system type is 64bit with windows vista home
premium. I do only have service pack 1.

What do I do at this point? What caused this?

Open the Command Prompt from the Orb/all programs/accessories, BUT right click on it and select 'Run as admin'.

The type in at the cursor

CHKDSK C: /R/F

Assuming C is your Drive with the OS on it. Note space after the K and the :

It will say it has to run at start-up, click yes and then re-boot.

It can take up to 4 hours to do a 350 Gb Hard Disk, but you will see it working away in the command prompt window.

Assuming it runs to the end. and after a successful restart, run the sfc /scannow again, this time it should complete

If you are not a Newbie, you may like to download a recovery disk from here

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

You need access to a Torrent connection though.

The point of this recovery disk, is you can access a command prompt and run CHKDSK with /R/F parameters in basically a safe mode. Saves having to carry around a Vista disk, if you are on a Laptop

Kotuku

  • (CHKDSK) Re: Using the Safely Remove Hardware icon?
    ... from the disk cache. ... Windows detects the disconnect, and any Delayed Write ... Click Start, click Run, type CMD and press Enter for Command Prompt. ... Run CHKDSK with the /F option to correct these. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: (CHKDSK) Re: Using the Safely Remove Hardware icon?
    ... Windows detects the disconnect, and any Delayed ... Click Start, click Run, type CMD and press Enter for Command Prompt. ... Run CHKDSK with the /F option to correct these. ... long as there is occasional drive activity, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: (CHKDSK) Re: Using the Safely Remove Hardware icon?
    ... Windows detects the disconnect, and any Delayed ... Click Start, click Run, type CMD and press Enter for Command Prompt. ... Run CHKDSK with the /F option to correct these. ... long as there is occasional drive activity, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Ghost file
    ... You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume ... Drag the file into the command prompt so you do not have to type the name ... How to locate and correct disk space problems on NTFS volumes in Windows ... run the Chkdsk utility on the disk volume to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: boot problems - please assist
    ... I can't seem to get a command prompt through the 'safe mode with command ... it seems you cannot get into Windows. ... It's well worth your while to select bootup to "Safe mode with command prompt". ... Run CHKDSK in XP Recovery Console: ...