System restore not working

Hi,
I am using Vista Home Premium 64, and up to now everthing has been
reasonable OK.

However every month ATI issues new drivers so this month I downloaded
them but when I tried December's to install them it said that they were
not 64 bit (drivers name is 8-12_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_72275), they
also have Vista 32-bit which are called almost the same
(8-12_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_72275).

OK let it pass for a few days and tried again this time int installed
but it would not allow the resulation to be set for my monitor at 1920
X1200 so I removed it again yesterdaay I tried it again and all appeared
well but afterwards I am unabled to use
system restore. The error message states:-

*The restore point could not be created for the following reason:*
**
*The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is
retried, the error may not reoccur. (0x800423F2).*
**
*Please try again.*

Well I did and got the same result each time. So now no System
Protection Point also Restore Point This means I can not update some
programs that require a restore point before they install as well as
being unable to roll back any that did not work.

I have tried the Vista Forum and got the answer "Go to the control
Panel then System - System - Systen Protection and clear the system
restore catch (untick the box). Then restart the System Restore." This
is supposed to start a new restore point. BUT IT DOES NOT.

This is doing my head in I beeen at it 10 hours today so far.

Anyone know the cure or has any ideas what to do other than
reformatting the hard drive?

jannerhank:devil::devil::mad:

--
jannerhank

  • Re: Install/Uninstall Program Trouble
    ... I have a running dialogue with one of the Microsoft TechNet moderators at the Windows Vista IT Pro forum/Windows Vista Applications. ... Just bought a refurbished Asus Essentio and tried to install Office 2007, ... >restore point, in case you want to go back to before you did the ... >if system restore is not functioning properly), ...
  • Re: Losing Restore Points
    ... there's no built-in dual boot on any computer. ... If you want to do this, you'll have to install the second operating system. ... It's easiest to do this if you have XP installed first, then install Vista. ... If I check for restore points it tells me there are ...
  • Re: Word 2007 in Vista Not Responding even after uninstall/reinstall
    ... Did you look in Event Viewer, or whatever Vista calls it, for any clues? ... I should first attempt uninstall/reinstall in Safe Mode...that doing so ... the 'Rescue Files' option, choose the 'Restore System' option, then choose ... when I installed the trial version from MS website, ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: Vista install problem - Now stuck on Startup Repair
    ... Recently I bought a new laptop, a Sony Vaio VGN-NS11Z/S. ... It bought it with Vista 32bit preinstalled and today I tried to ... install Vista x64 which I got through Microsoft Bizspark. ... Instead I'm left with a couple of options like restore ...
  • Re: WMP 11: I click and nothing! [Vista RANT]
    ... I definitely would not use a System Restore disk, ... using the Vista install CD if at all possible. ... there will be utterly no ability to reinstall Windows Media Player as ... OEM version of Vista that came preinstalled on my notebook. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)