System restore not working

Hi,
I am using Vista Home Premium 64, and up to now everthing has been
reasonable OK.

However every month ATI issues new drivers so this month I downloaded
them but when I tried December's to install them it said that they were
not 64 bit (drivers name is 8-12_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_72275), they
also have Vista 32-bit which are called almost the same
(8-12_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_72275).

OK let it pass for a few days and tried again this time int installed
but it would not allow the resulation to be set for my monitor at 1920
X1200 so I removed it again yesterdaay I tried it again and all appeared
well but afterwards I am unabled to use
system restore. The error message states:-

*The restore point could not be created for the following reason:*
**
*The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is
retried, the error may not reoccur. (0x800423F2).*
**
*Please try again.*

Well I did and got the same result each time. So now no System
Protection Point also Restore Point This means I can not update some
programs that require a restore point before they install as well as
being unable to roll back any that did not work.

I have tried the Vista Forum and got the answer "Go to the control
Panel then System - System - Systen Protection and clear the system
restore catch (untick the box). Then restart the System Restore." This
is supposed to start a new restore point. BUT IT DOES NOT.

This is doing my head in I beeen at it 10 hours today so far.

Anyone know the cure or has any ideas what to do other than
reformatting the hard drive?

jannerhank:devil::devil::mad:

--
jannerhank