Re: How to increase the File System Caching Memory?

totalz;916362 Wrote:
MilesAhead;916293 Wrote:
totalz;915591 Wrote:
I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. So I would like
to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to
extend hdd life.

From the software "Vista Manager", I see the option to set the exact
size for file system cache. As this software seems very buggy, so I'm
would like to do that manually.> > > >

This is the only method I'm aware of:

at an admin command prompt enter:

fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2> >

Oh, already knew this one, and it is only for NTFSMemUsage. I want
one for the whole file system.

Then you'll probably have to buy a disk caching software. Try google.

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"

  • Re: How to increase the File System Caching Memory?
    ... and Vista hardly utilize most of it. ... to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to ... fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2 ...
  • Re: System Cache
    ... The whole notion of having the file system cache on the hard disc defeats the purpose of the file system cache, which is speeding up file access by bypassing slow disc access! ... There is no "file system cache" on disk... ... You can see the maximum size in Task Manager it is about 80% of the RAM. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to increase the File System Caching Memory?
    ... I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. ... to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to ...
  • Re: Disable file system cache for a certain file
    ... The FILE_FLAG_SEQUENTIAL_SCAN flag seems to still use the file system ... FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING flag and the size of the file system cache is ... file is located on remote machine because the file system cache is not ...
  • RE: why swap at all? (what the user feels)
    ... > only major problem with swapping that not all users want file system ... > cache to swap out actual applications (thus making that somewhat aged ... due to the file system cache or application usage) will require discarding ...
    (Linux-Kernel)