Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

It looks like the early CNIG-914's had DNS issues. Can you tell if
yours is a 914(A), (B), (C), or (D)?

Another thing - this forum's posts appear in a larger forum, to which a
response was posted that is not reflected here in this forum. In case
you are not watching the larger forum, I am going to repost a response
from Jane C. My apologies to the folks on the larger forum that will
see Jane's reponse plus my quote, and of course thanks to Jane C for her
response.

Hello cvan,

First of all, visit this page:

'http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430)

Your router, especially if it is an older model, may not support some
of
Vista's networking capabilities. There is a link on that page to
download
and run a utility that will test your router to see if it is compatible
with
Vista:

'http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx)

If running the tool points to your router as being the problem, then
it's
time for a new one.

Do all of your 'computers'
(http://forum.soft32.com/windows/Vista-connect-internet-router-ftopict379008.html#)
get their LAN IP addresses from the DHCP 'server'
(http://forum.soft32.com/windows/Vista-connect-internet-router-ftopict379008.html#)
on
the router? Are they all set up to obtain their IP addresses
automatically?

--
Jane, not plain [image:
http://forum.soft32.com/windows/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif]

Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation [image:
http://forum.soft32.com/windows/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif]

MVP - Windows 'Desktop'
(http://forum.soft32.com/windows/Vista-connect-internet-router-ftopict379008.html#)
Experience