Stopped Services making laptop unusable

Hello,
I accidentally turned by computer off during a Vista update (when it says Do
NOT turn your computer off). Now, only about half the services start,
Explorer won't run, Live One Care won't start (I get a window saying it
cannot start) and I can't open Control Panel . I tried a System Restore but
the same problems persist. At this point I just want to get all my data off
and reinstall Windows but I can't connect a back up or run any installation
software for backups.
Has anyone got any ideas on how I can repair windows outside of a system
restore??
It's Vista Business with SP1 (not sure what the update in question was but
SP1 installed fine previously)
Thanks in advance

  • Re: SysRestr fails even as Admin-SafeMode - concurrent Office-Open fre
    ... Welcome to the Microsoft Security Response Center Blog! ... Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell ... Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer ... System Restore failed on both machines ...
  • Re: Click, click
    ... explorer, I can replicate this bug in that fresh copy. ... >>using up the system resources in Windows XP. ... the system restore points were turned off at some point ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: System restore will not load
    ... The file may be shown as SR, if you have configured Windows Explorer to hide ... To see the file extensions for all file types, ... Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User] ... How to reinstall System Restore in Windows XP?: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: My Computer Icon
    ... but you might want to look at System Restore. ... How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP ... I can see all the drives in Explorer,> I just can see anything when I double click on the My Computer icon> on the Desktop. ...
  • Re: Stopped Services making laptop unusable
    ... I accidentally turned by computer off during a Vista update (when it says Do ... I tried a System Restore but ... and reinstall Windows but I can't connect a back up or run any installation ... Has anyone got any ideas on how I can repair windows outside of a system ...