Re: unknown window that can't close

"Malke" wrote:

Gail C wrote:

I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what program
started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
cancelled"
on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the page".
Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering problems
OR to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
menu bar
but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close. The
only
way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because the
window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing this.
Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?

Start by making sure the computer is virus/malware-free:

Only *after* you are sure the machine is 100% clean, manage your Startup to
see what is starting with Windows and trying to get online.

Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
Instead, use Services.

Start Orb>Search box>type: services and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run As Administrator". Confirm elevation as
needed.

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx - Autoruns

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

I have looked at MSConfig Startup and don't see anything out of the norm. I
don't know what you mean by "confirm elevation". this is too technical for
my level of knowledge to muck around with so have just left everything as is.

thnaks anyway

Gail
.