Re: Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse

HAL button is normally NOT checked, if you check it and reboot then HAL check is done and I THINK the box is cleared (i.e. it is a one time check).

My eyes are getting as old as I am, thought you had mentioned a motherboard replacement as well - another senior moment.

Michael

"captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4A74227D-ABD6-4AED-85EC-CAEF566436AF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Didn't change motherboard, just the Nvidia card. Noticed that "check the detect HAL button" is NOT check on my boot tab. What'a think?

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ORTlEWFYJHA.1532@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you changed motherboards you might also need to do a hardware scan for Vista's hardware configuration.

in
msconfig
boot tab
advanced options button
check the detect HAL button

HAL - Hardware abstraction Layer, how Vista sees and uses the lowest level hardware.

This is not the same as a new device scan in hardware devices, it is much lower.

Michael

"captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3D05ED5B-B98D-4CF6-9364-10AEFF95C7EB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All worked well until I upgraded to the 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and latest nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other than a quick message about hibernation not working or something similar). All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings checked and rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia software since initial install and also tried a second DVI port on the card. No help.

The monitor error box stays on at the initial 'sleep stage' saying "no power connection. check for loose cables, etc." If I immediately cut the power off to the monitor, then on again it detects the sleep stage and immediately goes into that state and awakes properly on the movement of the mouse or keyboard. An annoyance or screen burn issue if I forget to cut power to monitor when I finish. Finger pointing is the name of the game when I call Nvidia and LG (monitor)

Anyone of you experts have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Vista 32bit w/SP1
XPS 410
LG 28" HG281D Monitor
4GB memory

If you seek happiness it will find you. It looks small as you gently hold it in your hands, but let it go and you learn at once how big and precious it is.

  • Re: Monitor wont sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
    ... HAL - Hardware abstraction Layer, how Vista sees and uses the lowest level hardware. ... All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings checked and rechecked. ... Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia software since initial install and also tried a second DVI port on the card. ...
  • Re: stuck in power save mode
    ... > boot up properly at first but the monitor displays "power ... > power save mode again, ... You may be having hardware problems. ... Testing hardware ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lets go Dynamic
    ... They inserted a dynamometer setup in the chain - i.e. a measuring device able to generate an absolute measure & record of instantaneous force & speed throughout the stroke. ... With the data from this equipment, they compared input power with the monitor record on the RP, and found this correlated very well throughout the power range. ... They also found that the monitor readings on a C-II machine, which they also fitted with the same dynamometer arrangement, were themselves less accurate. ...
    (rec.sport.rowing)
  • Re: Totaly toasted :(
    ... My old eyes can't zero in on the small fonts on a 36" LCD TV that was my monitor. ... The power supply has a label on it, with a brand name and model number. ... If you don't actually have an IDE connector inside your new computer, ... Ultra ATA 133/100/66/ hard disk drives to the latest Serial ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Monitor wont sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
    ... If you changed motherboards you might also need to do a hardware scan for Vista's hardware configuration. ... advanced options button ... All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings checked and rechecked. ... Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia software since initial install and also tried a second DVI port on the card. ...