Re: unknown window that can't close

Gail C wrote:

I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what program
started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
cancelled"
on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the page".
Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering problems
OR to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
menu bar
but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close. The
only
way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because the
window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing this.
Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?

Start by making sure the computer is virus/malware-free:

Only *after* you are sure the machine is 100% clean, manage your Startup to
see what is starting with Windows and trying to get online.

Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
Instead, use Services.

Start Orb>Search box>type: services and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run As Administrator". Confirm elevation as
needed.

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx - Autoruns

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Window Explorer Crashing
    ... If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, ... Then see what is on the Startup tab. ... Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes. ... The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup - ...
  • Re: unknown window that cant close
    ... window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing this. ... If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, ... Then see what is on the Startup tab. ... The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup - ...
  • Re: Memory Resident Programs
    ... "Startup" tab in the dialog box that appeared. ... msconfig to uncheck the box next to its name, ... If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, ... The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup - ...
  • Re: RunDLL missing file
    ... The missing file belongs to the MyWebSearch toolbar, which is malware. ... You can manage your Startup ... If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, ... The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup - ...
  • Re: msconfig problem
    ... The Event Viewer messages I sent in the last message were after a reboot ... I have rebooted into safe mode and logged on as Administrator several times ... make the return to Normal Startup. ... Event Type: Warning ...