Re: Vista hang at boot

"dawnthief" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:00997b72672a266a7ff1097654ce82a8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I recently built myself a PC and installed Vista on it. Everything
worked fine. Then i ended up doing a full re-format and re-install. Ever
since then Vista has been hanging at boot.
Before the loading bar would come and go and then the vista symbol
would pop up make the boot noise and i could log in, this all took under
30 seconds.
Now it hangs on a black screen after the loading bar, my monitor loses
signal (it goes to sleep) and then my mouse and keyboard flash and the
monitor comes back on showing a cursor, before turning to the vista
symbol and i log in again fine. This all takes about 1-2 minutes.
I've checked the event viewer log and it comes up with multiple event
id: 100 and 101. It says something is causing Vista to boot slow, i have
no idea what this could be as my configuration is the same. It seems
like the PC is searching for something or trying to perform an operation
which eventually times out and the boot continues as normal.
Any ideas?

Specs: Vista Home 64 bit, Core2Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, MSI4850, GA-EP45-DSR

--
dawnthief

Go to Device Manager in Control panel and look to see if there are any driver problems..

Download and run SIW.. http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Pick the 'installer' version'..

This program will tell you make and model of the various internal devices, and you will then be able to go to the respective manufacturer websites for latest drivers..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: XP/Vista/7 triple boot problem
    ... I had a perfectly good dual boot Vista and XP system until I ... I installed Windows 7 RC to a new partition on the Vista (slave ... my install is the same - the files are almost exactly the same (as ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... I ended up reinstalling Vista, ... The boot SECTOR is not the bootLOADER. ... finds the partition table for that HDD and sees that the first partition is ... violated, we no longer can simply install WinXP, install Vista and ...
  • Re: Install Vista Using Recovery Discs? Possible?
    ... to boot me into the login screen.... ... Unfortunately I cannot update my driver because ... I have some XP install discs and I was going to install xp instead so ... Vista that were made prior to the crash. ...
  • Re: Multiple Vista boot options
    ... There would be a boot sector on both the XP and Vista drives. ... My goal was to install XP Pro on Drive 1 rather than Drive 0. ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... WinXP Setup WILL "corrupt" the Vista boot SECTOR. ... On the next reboot, when the system finds the HDD currently designated as the boot device and looks at the first physical sector, it finds the partition table for that HDD and sees that the first partition is Active so it reads the first physical sector of that partition. ...