Re: Question about video hardware memory usage

imho
If you are running 2d applications, everything except gaming, there is no change to the system memory footprint regardless of the amount of RAM on the videocard. The demands of 2d applications, including Photoshop/video processing, are minimal with regard to even motherboard based video let alone decent stand-alone cards. The exception is if you are trying to run a large panel with a high resolution at high refresh rates. but few of us will ever do that.
If you are 3d gaming then you want the fastest video card with the fastest and largest amount of memory you can afford.
Interesting, but how is it determined? I currently have a video card with 128 megs on it. I have 4 gigs installed and the Vista x86 task manager reports 3453 MB available (on the performance tab). Are you saying if I install a video card with say 512 megs it will not change the available amount of ram stated in the task manager?

  • Re: Question about video hardware memory usage
    ... change to the system memory footprint regardless of the amount of RAM on ... The demands of 2d applications, ... If you are 3d gaming then you want the fastest video card with the ... fastest and largest amount of memory you can afford. ...
  • Re: have to reboot after using My Pictures
    ... Repost with your computer specs such as processor speed, amount of RAM, ... video card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Set shared video memory in xorg.conf
    ... With this amount, I would like to increase the memory of my shared ... video card form 128 to 256, the max, in order to speed up graphics et ... what do I have to put in to the file to get 256 mB of ram for my shared ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: RAM question
    ... I don't have an integrated video card; ... I have a separate one with 32 MB of RAM. ... >amount available for use by Windows. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: RAM question
    ... Your video card is probably counting its RAM and that's the 32 megs you ... To check the amount of RAM on your video card go Start menu | Run ... Margie wrote: ...
    (sci.med.transcription)