Re: New User Wanting to Install More RAM

"SevSaint" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:fe35aed5153f3085965c3ffc0f879161@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have never done much maintenance work on my computer. I bought it last
year and have had very few problems with it, but i would like better
performance out of it in the gaming area.
I only have 1gig of ram installed and am using windows Vista Home
Basic.
I have been told that this is not enough RAM and i can tell it by the
way the computer acts.
So i want to upgrade ram with at least 1 more gig if not to.
I have 4 slots and no idea how easy or difficult the process is.

1. Does the ram chip come with installation disk
2. Can i mess up my computer
3. Do i have to reinstall anything on my drive (I'm missing my dell
image file)
4. Anyone have a tutorial.

BTW i looked up my comp specs and found a great price of around 20-40
dollars for 2 1gig cards.
Thanks in advance

--
SevSaint

Go to www.crucial.com. You can connect with the website and it will tell you what is installed, how many slots, and type that can be fitted.. print off the results and then look for RAM of the same type..

RAM is keyed (a small slot around half way down the pins), and is secured by a clip at either end.

Swapping RAM out is easy.. ground yourself on the case and take due care when changing them..

RAM will auto detect, so no installation media is required..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: Unable to install .NET 1.1 via Windows Update and Redistributa
    ... sensei wrote: ... me to suspect it, but I used Microsoft's RAM testing application, and I ... there probably isn't anything that corrupt about the .NET files sitting ... Windows XP SP1 (from original installation CD) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: XP Pro in 128 MB
    ... "Glacial" is the term that comes to my mind, I'm afraid, if your computer doesn't have a CPU of at least 500 MHz along with at least 256 Mb of RAM. ... If you turn off all of WinXP GUI eye-candy, it will still be very slow, but it might usable for simple word processing, email, web-browsing, etc. ... compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module ... On installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to install .NET 1.1 via Windows Update and Redistributa
    ... me to suspect it, but I used Microsoft's RAM testing application, and I ... there probably isn't anything that corrupt about the .NET files sitting ... I'm starting with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro on a brand new ... Windows XP SP1 (from original installation CD) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Fwd: [opensuse] Cant boot with all the memory
    ... processors with 32GB (kfsn4-dre/sas) and the kernel hangs without any info ... Any distro will run in 4GB of RAM and even much less than that so RAM is not the problem. ... For the installation I also had to use ... To cut a long story short, the channels between the RAM sockets failed somewhere and the only RAM socket which worked was #1 - and NO configuration of RAM in any other combination of sockets would work: memory errors where showing up after ~15minutes of starting Memtest :-( . ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: XP Pro Reboots when Installing Java, MSN, Office for no reason?
    ... a reboot) and driver updates also. ... I replaced the ram with know good ram, ... installation works. ... > If it is then it is most likely a hardware or driver problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)