Re: Vista automatic system restore problem

Barbara92021;873114 Wrote:
I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!

In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
creation was successful.

Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
the 3 disks, once again!

Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
products can mess with system restore.

In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.

I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
the right direction for other help.

Hi,

Here is a tutorial about how to set the automatic restore point
schedule

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/169523-system-restore-task-change-automatic-restore-point-schedule.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2

  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... I'm reluctant to do a 'factory restore' for very obvious ... I've always turned system restore off on all of my computers. ... 5.25" 320k floppy disk drives and 640k or RAM. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... Alternatively phone Medion before you do the RTFS ... I'm reluctant to do a 'factory restore' for very obvious reasons ... I've always turned system restore off on all of my computers. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Vista business recommended?
    ... What is the general opinion about Vista Business? ... The first scan turned up 200+ infections, including an alarming Application.007_Keylogger, with a High threat rating. ... I then tried to restore all the files in quarantine, only to find the quarantine hold was empty. ... I then used System Restore to restore to an earlier point. ...
  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... 'restore to factory settings' & if that cures the problem then ... I've heard many stories of system restore not working when needed, ... I could go back even further with miniscule hard drives and memory measured in Kb's but I won't bore you. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... My DVD writer is by Lite-On ... 'restore to factory settings' & if that cures the problem then ... I've heard many stories of system restore not working when needed, ...
    (uk.legal)