Re: Vista 32bit died under standard use. (no gaming or anything specia

fusionrx wrote:

Aggravation with VISTA (32bit). !!! Help needed.

Here's my rig: Q6600@3Ghz., 8Gb Corsair ram DDR2 800, Palit 4850 Vid card.
Seagate 1TB hd, Rocketfish case, PCPower &Cooling 750W psu. Gigabyte EP45
DS4 mobo. (I do plan on moving up to 64bit Vista soon, likely as a result
of this crash to fully use the 8gb memory).

Vista installed recently (Had XP, then upgraded the XP install to Vista).
The upgrade seemed to be working.

Over the last while things seem to be getting slower, and then last nite
BAM! BSOD!

The system rebooted before I had a chance to determine what caused the
bsod, but the ATI CCC (Catalyst Control Center) seemed to be the culprit
(Vista "Service process has stopped' message in conjunction with Windows
has recovered from a system fault).

I decided to upgrade to the latest released (ATI 8.10) catalyst drivers
and then CCC would never ever start.

Shortly thereafter network connectivity disappeared, and then upon a
reboot after the ATI drivers installed, I get MAJOR havoc.

Get an incredibly long login time, followed by Windows failed to connect
to Sockets and System Events Manager Services cannot be started messages.
With some more digging it seems that some of its other dependant services
are also not started. Trying to manual start these did not help one bit.

My conclusion is that I am pretty much fubar'd at this point am I right?
This is a case of reformat and re-install??

Although it does sound to me like you'll need to do a clean install, I would
do some hardware testing first. It sounds like perhaps your hard drive is
dying or there is a problem with some other hardware component. It doesn't
matter if it's new.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: upgrading xp to vista premium question
    ... When Vista ... Upgrade was installing, I assume it also saw a single disk with a single ... I wasn't sure I could do a clean install of Vista originally and ... were partitioned into 3 different volumes and during the install of Vista ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: upgrading xp to vista premium question
    ... prior to using an upgrade install of Vista. ... install of Vista Home Premium full retail version was to my main MCE2005 ... built and did a clean install and love it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Vista OEM or... ?
    ... There are at least two different concepts of what constitutes an upgrade: ... Fresh install: For a hardware component, one will consider an upgrade as ... Who will perform support if the end user is having problems. ... I'd like to upgrade PCs from my family to Vista. ...
  • Re: Windows 7 for $50 (US) through July 11.
    ... You can still do a clean install with the upgrade version, ... vista requires that an earlier ver has to be installed before ... version of windows before doing an installation of the Windows 7 ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: clubbing of windows vista and windows server2008 in a single boota
    ... I am not sure if you can go clubbing with Vista or Windows 2008 ... rather than being an 'installer', ... John Pritchard how it all works and got some surprising answers. ... Imaging (.WIM) file, which is basically our operating system folders ...