Re: Vista automatic system restore problem

Default System Restore points are not created "daily" - if nothing has been
done to create an automatic restore point (such as installation of a
certified or digitally signed application) a "System Checkpoint" restore
point is created every 24 hours of active computer usage - in other words if
your computer is on fours a day a restore point (if none created
automatically) is created after six days.

Have you verified lack of restore points via System Restore (select System
Restore option) rather than the System Protection screen?

"Barbara92021" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!

In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
creation was successful.

Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
the 3 disks, once again!

Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
products can mess with system restore.

In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.

I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
the right direction for other help.

--
Barbara92021

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit

  • Re: Corrupted Offfice 2003 blocks new Office 2007
    ... using the Restore disks. ... the computer...system restore cds. ... trial may be on the system cds, so a total system restore may correct the ... installation CDs to reinstall Office and correct the setup problems. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... I'm reluctant to do a 'factory restore' for very obvious ... I've always turned system restore off on all of my computers. ... 5.25" 320k floppy disk drives and 640k or RAM. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... Alternatively phone Medion before you do the RTFS ... I'm reluctant to do a 'factory restore' for very obvious reasons ... I've always turned system restore off on all of my computers. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • RE: partition magic with windows xp hlep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... You should have a set of rescue floppy disks, ... installation, or can be done simply by inserting the PM CD in any PC and ... You may then be able to copy Partition from the 'bakcup' drive to new drive. ... > i open magic up but nothing is worded similar to restore a drive ...
  • Re: Completely OT but...
    ... dual layer disks. ... 'restore to factory settings' & if that cures the problem then ... I've heard many stories of system restore not working when needed, ... I could go back even further with miniscule hard drives and memory measured in Kb's but I won't bore you. ...
    (uk.legal)