Vista automatic system restore problem

I recently went to set up a manual restore point and found out that my
Vista is NOT doing any restore points, at all!!! I googled this problem
and found out that, by default, Vista is supposed to be doing daily
restore points, automatically. I assumed restore points were being done
when I installed new programs! Nope! Assuming is never good!

In the System Protection, there is a checkmark beside one of the 3
available disks, the Acer (C). In the "Most recent restore point" area,
it says "None" for each of the 3 disks. To check to see if I could
manually create a restore point, I clicked on "Create a restore point"
and entered "check up on system restore". Under the "most recent restore
point", it showed today's date and the dialog box popped up to say the
creation was successful.

Because of some of the things I read in this forum's entries regarding
system restore points, I did a restart on my laptop and sure enough -
the manual restore point is GONE! There are no restore points for any of
the 3 disks, once again!

Why won't the system restore work?? What do I have to do to get this
working? My security is ShawSecure, based on f-secure and supplied by my
ISP. I am letting you know this b/c of reading how Symantec/Norton
products can mess with system restore.

In some of the other threads I read about programs interfering on
startup. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but if you need, I can give
a list of the programs starting when I turn the laptop on each morning.

I sure hope someone here can help me with this problem or steer me in
the right direction for other help.

--
Barbara92021

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit

  • Re: Vista business recommended?
    ... What is the general opinion about Vista Business? ... The first scan turned up 200+ infections, including an alarming Application.007_Keylogger, with a High threat rating. ... I then tried to restore all the files in quarantine, only to find the quarantine hold was empty. ... I then used System Restore to restore to an earlier point. ...
  • Re: Tried Linux - is it really worth the hassle?
    ... I could do most things at work and be comfortable with 1GB RAM in XPee, now I need 2GB for Vista or it's swapping like crazy. ... When all else fails and you need to do a system restore from the boot DVD and it tells you that you have no restore points on drive c: don't get mad, just boot up an Ubuntu LiveCD, mount it and look in "c:\system volume information" and say "ha! ... Then see above about system restore. ... you can talk to that PC via the network but take your laptop somewhere where there's no network to plug into and it decides that your cable is unplugged so your NIC cannot have an IP address therefore you can no longer talk to your virtual machines that are running in your desktop like teenage children. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: System Restore Keeping Only One Restore Point
    ... temporarily turning off System Restore), and then turn System Resore back ... And 3% should be adequate space, and would be, with good restore points ... use the built in Windows firewall... ... the Windows Firewall in XP does a ...
  • Re: System Restore Keeping Only One Restore Point
    ... Those two *extremely large* system restore points sound suspicious, ... use the built in Windows firewall... ... the Windows Firewall in XP does a ...
  • Re: System Restore Keeping Only One Restore Point
    ... next time the system creates a restore point automatically and not ... System Restore will normally create a checkpoint if you don't (and don't ... use the built in Windows firewall... ... the Windows Firewall in XP does a ...