Re: Desktop Issue

Hi Joe,

After starting up, hit ctrl+shift+escape to bring up task manager. From the applications tab, click on 'new task'. Type regedit and click ok. Click continue at the uac prompt. Expand the branches of the registry to reach this key:

Click on the key, the check the right pane for a string called shell. Double click this string, replace the contents with:

explorer.exe

Click ok, then close the registry editor and task manager and restart the machine. See if this helps.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe321" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6445b891d29a9f76cce86933654d5c63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't know much about computers. A few
days ago, I opened my laptop to find that my desktop was just a black
screen with the window which would normally come up when you click my
computer, displaying only certain things on my hard drive. after about
20 minutes of searching, I found a way to connect to the internet to
search for a solution which I have yet to find. Any help?

--
Joe321

  • Re: Run VBS Script with JScript components
    ... need it as String ... wrap it up ... > I have a vbs script that I have ... scheduled in the task manager to execute ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.wsh)
  • Re: maximum string length in c# and .net
    ... max I could allocate without getting an out of memory on the string ... System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type ... The VMsize in task manager is 1.07G. ...
  • Application name
    ... My application name on the CE task manager is always empty ("" string) even ... within my app gives the right name. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Svhost.exe using 100% Processor on XP Professional
    ... boots up a few days ago, we go to task manager see the svhost.exe that is ... also ran a full scan while not in safe mode and still all clear. ... only told it was likely a malware, or such, infection, jumped through ... many,many hoops looking and searching for an infection, and found ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)