Re: coputer coma!

I'd guess from what you've said that the computer is fine, and you have a
problem with either the monitor, the monitor driver, or graphics driver.
Since the monitor does work until you put it to sleep, that would point to
the drivers.
You could check the monitor cable for bent or scorched pins, but mainly to
make sure it's connected snug, and not deadly tight.

Make sure you have backups for the drivers, uninstall them, and let the
computer re-detect and install the software.

"jennie" <jennie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:11139E81-ABB3-4F2B-A143-D51A4AD6FA70@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have Vista, have had for about a year and had not had ay issues with the
sleep function, until now.

I used to be able to click on the sleep tab and the computer monitor would
go blank and the computer would sleep. To use the computer again, I would
just need to click any key on the keyboard/move the mouse and hey presto,
back to normal.

But now- when I click on the sleep tab, the monitor goes blank just like
before. Fine, but if I want to use the computer, I go to press a key/move the
mouse and....nothing, the monitor stays blank.

But this is when it gets really odd, if I carry on pressing keys, I can
hear the error tones from the computer- so the computer is awake, but the
monitor is not.
The only way I can get my computer to turn itself back on is to unplug it
at the wall, wait for about 5 minutes then replug the computer and start off
from scratch, which actualy goes against having the computer on sleep mode in
the first place!

I have tried altering the sleep modes, tried reinstalling the service pack
for vista, tried my re-scaning virus scan... cant find anything.

Does anyone have a clue whats going on? I feel like I am going mad trying to
look for solutions!

  • Re: Sony GDM-FW900
    ... Also, just fyi, sleep mode is brutal on monitors (both CRTs ... I really don't know anything about monitor repair. ... When it picks up enough charge, ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • vista monitor sleep after some time
    ... Monitor goes to sleep after 2-3 minutes, and come back by moving mouse or any key. ... So seems some issue in vista settings or its a bug. ... It is getting bit annoying that whenever i'm watching a movie, ...
  • Re: Dell Dimension running Vista wont come out of sleep mode
    ... We had the same problem - computer would go to sleep and monitor would not ... I too was using a bluetooth keyboard when this happened, ... Only the computer went to sleep after I ... accidently hit the power button on it. ...
  • Re: Unusual effects in XP Pro setup?
    ... The pattern of behaviour shows stability for a few minutes then blinking or using scroll wheel on mouse induces blinking and eventually sleep on monitor 1. ... after a few minutes into the new config the DVI monitor blinks and goes into sleep mode, As it is set as monitor 1 it means that monitor 2, no matter how great, is merely an extended and bare part of the desktop = difficulties when the DVI monitor goes to sleep ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Weirdness
    ... Anything I can look for in the logs? ... This may be related or not, but when I got a new Mac mini with 10.8 I ... had problems at first waking the screen from sleep in the morning. ... if I disconnected then reconnected the monitor that would work. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)