Re: shadow copie, AGAIN.

"menikamatii" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8a969a16a29c04863b4b72db302934b4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so i decided to reformat last night........
didnt have this problem on very first boot.
missing 45~ gb of disk space.

I assume you mean you have a 500GB drive, but the computer only sees 465GB.

This is normal, hard disk manufactures measure 1000 bytes as 1 kilobyte. While an actual computer, which is binary, will measure 1024 bytes as a kilobyte, and so on up to megabytes, gigabytes etc.

Number of bytes on hard disk: 500,000,000,000. Divide that by 1000 3 times and you get 500GB, the computer will divide by 1024 3 times, which is about 465GB.

So that is completely normal. I wish hard disk manufacturers wouldn't do that, but they've been doing it for years.

If you're referring to the computer using up the 40GB of so space, well that's not unusual for an install of Windows with a bunch of programs and data on top.

found the shadow copy threads

Not related to shadow copies at all. Your screenshot below shows shadow copies only using 88MB of space, with 2.93GB allocated, which is allowed to grow to a total size of 70GB (15% of the drive).

[image: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6846/32108404iq4.jpg]

could this be unalocatedspace? should i install a partition manager ?

I doubt it, and no. Windows Vista has built in partitioning tools under Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. But this isn't anything related to partitioning.

Nothing to worry about.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

  • Re: 3 Different BSOD
    ... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition ... To determine if you have a boot sector virus, run a current virus-checking program, and if needed, disinfect your computer. ... If this does not resolve the issue, your computer mainboard may be damaged. ... 0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or the controller not seeing the hard disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Live One Care
    ... are having than in a group that deals with General Problems with Windows XP. ... PA Bear (Robear Dyer) does not work for Microsoft. ... 'cleanup' utilities...) ... Perform a full defragmentation on your hard disk drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lost data on 320GB hard disk and corrupted data on 250gb hard
    ... Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates by Microsoft. ... Windows XP tells me that my 320GB hard disk is not formatted. ... GB HDD as being affected by lost data. ... would be advisable to undertake a new fresh install of XP - making sure ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lost data on 320GB hard disk and corrupted data on 250gb hard
    ... Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates by Microsoft. ... Windows XP tells me that my 320GB hard disk is not formatted. ... GB HDDs would have been affected. ... would be advisable to undertake a new fresh install of XP - making sure that ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lost data on 320GB hard disk and corrupted data on 250gb hard
    ... Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates by Microsoft. ... Windows XP tells me that my 320GB hard disk is not formatted. ... GB HDD as being affected by lost data. ... system - probably having something to do with your fresh install of XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)