Re: Memory use and performance issues

"david manvell" <davidmanvell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1B1E3B81-4E2B-49E2-A85C-5D1E6AF2B6C8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Personally, I wouldn't change anything. You have a superior spec'd
high performance workstation, built for productivity and reliability,
(ECC RAM). It just doesn't match up with the way Vista calculates
it's performance index. Big deal!

You could upgrade to faster memory, but considering it's ECC RAM
and 6GB, that would not be worth the cost for what you would gain.
In actual usage, the CPU index difference between 5.0 and 5.9 would
hardly be noticed.

In my previous post I was explaining why your machine scored lower
in the indexes, not saying there was anything wrong with its specs.

This whole thing started actually because of World of Warcraft. I
originally
had a video card NVIDIA 8800 GT and was not getting the best framerates
when
playing. usually somewhere around 15-30 while running 1920x1200 with all
stuff turned on high. So i went and got a better video card NVIDIA 9800
GX2.
No improvement. I called NVIDIA and the said its most likely the wrong
card
as WoW doesn't play well with SLI and those two GPUs are slaved together
via
SLI. they suggested i get a single GPU video card. So returned those and
got
a NVIDIA GTX 260. Still Now I'm gettign framerates of 20-35. Maybe a
sliught
improvement but no where where i should be. Called NVIDIA and they said I
should be seeing a absolute minimum of 60-90 framerate.

We went over tons of stuff (Drivers and settings) and they can't find any
reason that my framerate is so slow. They said even with my original card
or
the 9800 I should of had faster. They suspect something is wrong in
Windows
itself. Something is bottlenecking it. They suggested uninstalling
anything
in windows I don't really need and just doing a general performance
improvement on the whole system and if that did not work to reinstall
windows
as it's been installed for several years now and maybe something has just
snuck in there that's bottlenecking it.

I'm confused. Are you talking about the Dell Xeon workstation with
64 bit Vista Ultimate, in your post of Oct 18, or a different machine.
WoW is a game that's more GPU than CPU intensive. On the other
hand, flight sims such as MS FSX are very CPU intensive. FSX
would thrive on your two dual core Xeons.

  • Re: Memory use and performance issues
    ... it's performance index. ... So i went and got a better video card NVIDIA 9800 GX2. ... Still Now I'm gettign framerates of 20-35. ...
  • Re: Video Card????
    ... I would like to get my framerates faster for the NASCAR 2003 game ... When the game come out in 2003 my pc ran it fine, ... I can't afford an all new pc so I was wondering if an updated video card ... I know I can upgrade memory to 1gb at a fairly cheap price too. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Video Card????
    ... I built my pc about 6 years ago and have the same hardware as when it was ... I would like to get my framerates faster for the NASCAR 2003 game I ... I can't afford an all new pc so I was wondering if an updated video card ... I know I can upgrade memory to 1gb at a fairly cheap price too. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)